11|THE HOUSE GUEST

Start from the beginning

"I don't need your help and I don't want it." Elena tells her.

"And that's incredibly stupid of you," the Pierce snaps. "Do you know where Klaus is? When he's coming, what he looks like?"

"If you know something, say it or get out." Damon pipes up.

"Fine," Katherine pauses, her eyes narrowing. "Then I'll just go to the Grill and have some lunch...maybe Aunt Jenna's free for a bite."

Grayson straightens up but before she can get far, Elena stops her. "She can stay," her eyes harden. "For now."

•••

Grayson leans against the door frame, her cheeks pressed against the cool wall. Her skin crawls as Damon stands in front of her, blow torch in hand and currently trying to burn Elijah's body.

"Mmm, burning flesh." Katherine slinks from the shadows, standing closely behind Grayson. "If you're trying to get the dagger back, you're wasting your time. He's indestructible," she tells Damon.

"No kidding," the Salvatore takes a break. "How do you know so much about Original vampires?"

"Spent 500 years running from one," Katherine informs him.

Grayson hums, her eyes shining with amusement. "Must be some sick satisfaction to watch one of them lay at your mercy like this,"

Katherine snorts, "less than you'd think."

Damon glances between the two vampires with narrowed eyes. After a few seconds, his stare stays aimed at Katherine. "So when I told you my plan to kill Elijah, why didn't you warn me that I'd die if I used the dagger on him?"

"Oh, there's so many rules." She tries to brush it off, "It's all very confusing."

"Did you know I would die?" Damon asks.

"Did Elijah tell you his plan?" Katherine attempts to change the subject. "Did he have a dagger to kill Klaus with?"

Grayson sighs tiredly, "when are you leaving?"

"Yeah," Damon smiles tightly. "Why are you still here?"

"Because you haven't forcibly removed me," she responds.

"That can be arranged," Grayson says as she moves out of the way—leaving Katherine in line with the blow torch.

The Pierce calls Damon's bluff, "You wouldn't."

"Oh, I would." He disagrees.

"Damon, be smart." She says, "I want Klaus dead just as much as you do. More. If I wasn't be honest about helping, I'd be long gone by now, okay? You can hate me. But we want the same thing. And you know...I always get what I want." Damon lowers the gun and she begins to leave, looking over her shoulder once as she exits. "I wanted out of the tomb. Didn't matter who paid the price. Of course I knew that you'd die,"

Grayson watches the vampire go with a hard frown, her eyebrows drawn together. "That was mean," she mutters.

"Yeah," Damon laughs humorlessly.

Grayson shuffles toward him and wraps an arm around his waist, wiggling her body under his arm. "I'd never trade your life for my freedom," she reassures him.

Damon squeezes her shoulder, "good to know."

•••

Grayson watches Damon as he organizes the journals, his face set in determination.

"What are you guys up to?" Katherine purrs, sauntering over your Damon.

"None of your business," he snaps.