Chapter 4: Part 1

Start from the beginning

She said that we had it better than the field workers which made me froze with shock. He had more of my people; there were more of us in this land than what I saw on the boat and I knew more was coming and that none of us will live in peace. 

“Lena, are you listening to me!?” I snap out of me remembering and look to Sarah who was sitting on her bed which was opposite of mine. These beds were much more comfortable than the ground that I used to sleep on in my home yet the feelings I held sleeping on the ground differ greatly to now. Sarah and I both sigh in stress.

Sarah…why does that demon-” “Master…” She corrects sternly.

I stare and huff out air continuing, “Why does he not have any more uh-sl-a-vz..?”  I frown finishing my question wondering if I said the English word right. Sarah frowns in confusion then nods in understanding.

“You mean slaves, and master does have more slaves. I told you master has field workers, the ones that live in the back.”

She points to the left of her, gesturing to the backyard where the other slaves lived. I still have not been back there yet, every time I tried to go out back Sarah would snap at me to help her or the demon would yell at me to help him with something.

I shook my head, “No, I mean-um…uh what you call us?” I point to myself and Sarah tilts her head in confusion for a moment until she realizes my question.

House slaves” She answers, I try to repeat but failed with my thick accent and she smiles listening.

“You are getting better…”she says, I swish my hand ignoring her praise.

“But what I asked you before, why does he not have any more of us?” Sarah froze from my question then frowns and looks down thinking.

“I…I really do not know the reason myself. I remember when I was bought by his father-” “He has family?” I quickly ask shocked.

Sarah huffs out air and puts her hand on her hip. “Yes, now can I finish my story?”

I nod my encouragingly “Kose, go on” She nods and goes on. “I was bought by his father from a couple that lives in this town. I was eleven and was still scared of the slave life. The couple that originally bought me only sold me because the woman had died from an illness and the man did not want me anymore since then.” I nod feeling sympathy for Sarah and the couple.

“So the man sold me to master’s father who was my former master, he was more strict than our master.  He would beat me if I did anything wrong or if he was angry, he sometimes not give me food on some days and to punish me he would make work in the fields for a few weeks…” Sarah pauses and puts her hand to her mouth. I could see her eyes shines with water. I stand up and walk over to her bed.I sit on the edge of her bed and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Sarah…Do not speak anymore.” Sarah nods and takes her hand from her mouth, a tear from each eye slides down her cheeks quietly while she looks up to me and smiles.