A Love That was HouseBound

Beaufort, South Carolina- United States of America

January 13, 1848

 As I hear both the red and blue jays chirping their usual high-pitch melody, it gives me clue it was sometime around noon.  

I knew it was my cue to get out of bed; I sit up with a hard groan as I move my hand through my blonde unkempt hair. I turn my head to the window looking out of it with weary and detached blue eyes. As I rise from my king size bed and walk over to my closet I try recalling what I’ve had plan for today.

‘Was it to go to a meeting with Mr.Tuttle? 

Maybe it was going to the church to repent to Father Mark for my recent behavior?’

I scoffed with bitter amusement to my last thought as I finally found the suit I was going to wear.

‘Repent, what would I be deploring for?’

I sat my suit on the back of one of my chairs that was place in front an unlit fireplace.  I stand there waiting for Sarah to arrive and put on my clothes. As five minutes passes by my impatience quickly shifted into an almost violent irritation. I stomp over to my door and yank the door open.

“SARAH WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!?!” I yelled heat rising to my face.

“I-I’m here sa’.” I hear a small whisper in front of me.

I look down to see Sarah with her shoulders hunched upwards and her head facing the floor. I gave a disgusted look to her.

“You useless piece of shit! Everyday around noon, you should know I get up at this hour!”  

Sarah’s body shivers in fear from every word that was yelled from my mouth. I sigh trying to fight back the urge to slap her natural dark tea skin. Deciding against for now I move to the side and roughly pull Sarah into my room. She doesn’t resist in fear that I would do worst. 

I slam the door shut and quickly walk over to the chair where I place my suit and stretch my arms out for Sarah to take off my shirts. When she starts I began the usual questioning.

“Have the Field Negros begin their work?”

“Yes masta’” She answers unbuttoning my shirt with much haste, in less than a minute she was done and took it from me.

I pull off my undershirt and gave it to her, she folds both with speed and sat them down on the chair and gave me my new clean undershirt and button up shirt.

“And the Chores with the house? Have you cleaned the kitchen, the parlor, the bathrooms, guestrooms, dining room, and tea room?”

“Yes masta’” She replies buttoning up my shirt, then taking my pants and giving them to me.

As I pull both of the pants legs up I watch as Sarah go over to my bed and begins to straightening it.

“Sarah” I call as I finish buttoning my pants.

She turns my way with her head down, “Yes sa’?”

“Bring me a belt and prepare another bed for the slave quarters.”

I could see Sarah’s eyes widened in shock.

“Masta’” She quietly says, I knew she wanted to ask a question.

“What?”

“May I ask…?” She trails off knowing I knew what she was asking, I sigh sitting down in the chair.