CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Start from the beginning

"I'm standing in front of Stanley High School where just over two hours ago the school went into complete lockdown after a student violently attacked another student, sending them to the hospital. A few of the students I have spoken to have informed me that the alleged attacker is also under suspicion of vandalizing the school, but authorities have yet to confirm or deny these allegations. At this time we cannot release any names because they are minors, but we have been told that the families have been contacted.

"As you can see behind me, authorities are doing a thorough sweep of the school. Exactly what they are looking for has yet to be determined, but we did see a couple of bomb sniffing dogs being led into the main building. The entire campus has been evacuated and we have been advised that there is no longer an immediate threat."

The camera must have been showing images of the scene because she stopped talking for a moment before she started up again. "I'm standing here with sophomore student Candice Anderson who witnessed the alleged attack. Candice, first of all let me just say that I'm glad you're okay."

"Thank you very much," Candice said in a somber tone.

"Can you tell me what happened?" the newswoman asked with mock concern.

"I saw the student in question attack the other student. There is no doubt in my mind that it was intentional." She was lying. Alex hadn't been anywhere near Tracy. I felt a surge of rage at the injustice. This would no doubt help further cement Alex's guilt.

When the report was over, a whole new round of conversation and debate ensued, which did nothing but get everyone even more riled up.

"We need to call a town meeting," MaryAnn said, raising her voice so everyone in the café could hear her. "We need to stand together and let all possible wrongdoers know that we will not take this lying down."

There was a round of murmured agreement. A few heads turned toward the entrance when Jesse walked in. Several people watched as he made his way to the counter. He appeared unnerved by all the attention. "Hey," he said with a grimace. He handed me my phone face down. "I found this on the floor of the girls bathroom and recognized it was yours."

I cried out when I turned it over and saw the screen had dozens of cracks in it. MaryAnn and a few others were watching us with great interest. I clicked on the screen and tried to get it to work, but nothing happened. Sarah kept a backup charger hidden behind a stack of napkins, which I dug out. I said a silent prayer that the battery was drained and just needed a little juice. I plugged it into the wall and waited for my phone to show signs of life, but the screen remained black. I wanted to cry.

"Where is she," I growled. I was so angry my hands began to shake.

"I don't know. I've tried everything I can think of to reach her, but she's not answering her phone or email, or anything else. I even went to her house, but her grandmother said she hasn't seen her since this morning."

"Where does she live?"

Jesse took a step back, fear was written all over his face. "What are you going to do?"

"I have to find her before she tries to kill someone else." My words had the desired effect on him.

"She wasn't trying to kill Tracy," he said nervously, "she was just trying to scare the cheerleaders. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but they're horrible to her. She got bullied so much during the summer by them and the football team that she finally had to delete all her social media accounts."

"So she told you she was planning to attack them and you didn't tell anyone." I didn't bother trying to hide my disgust with him.

"Of course not." He was angry I had suggested such a thing. Jesse looked behind him to make sure no one was listening in before he leaned in a little closer. "I know Wendy. She would never hurt anyone. I think things just got out of hand."