2 - Playing In The Dark

Start from the beginning

My brows lifted as curiosity caught me. Typically, I refrained from engaging in gossip. "Thank you for the lovely compliment. May I inquire what it is your father says?"

Elizabeth's face flushed a deep crimson, and she lifted a tentative gaze to her great aunt. "He says you serve the dark forces."

"Oh, well. If that's all." I chuckled, having heard worse insults at church. "I hope your father isn't too vexed by your presence here."

Elizabeth giggled behind a gloved hand. "Oh, he doesn't know. Mother and I told him I was attending a function at the Charities for the Poor."

I nodded at the girl, although I wanted to giggle too. "Well, you and I will have to attend an upcoming function there to make it credent."

"I would like that very much."

Tilda reappeared and announced the next set of guests, and I found myself quite occupied for the next quarter of an hour while my home filled with animated chatter. The parlor games commenced, the first being a spirited rendition of Ball of Wool. Clara and Douglas were determined to involve themselves in the frivolity, and both appeared reluctant to let the younger guests steal all the merriment.

I watched contentedly from a distance, making certain the punch bowl remained full and the candelabras stayed lit. Just after sending Tilda to the cellar to seek out a specific vintage of wine for one of the chaperones, the doorbell sounded, announcing a tardy arrival. When Tilda remained absent, I realized it would be imprudent to leave my guests waiting on the cold stoop. So, I excused myself to the foyer to handle the greeting personally.

A man dressed in his royal navy finery stood at the door with his young, female charge beside him. I recognized the girl from church, having enquired about her to Reverend Lawtey as I prepared my guest list. The girl's arms were crossed at her chest and her bright, blue eyes reflected both beauty and annoyance.

"Is this the home of Mistress Rosalind Hayes?" the man asked. His eyes shone with a similar brightness, albeit with more grey than blue, and with more mirth than annoyance.

"I am she. The maid is otherwise occupied with fetching wine. Please, come in."

The girl stepped confidently into the foyer. "Thank you, Mistress Hayes. My brother has utterly no concept of time, which reflects poorly on me. I have been ready for hours."

"I appreciate your attention to promptness. To whom do I have the pleasure of meeting?" I queried the girl, although I had a good idea who she was.

"I am Alice Ada Thompson. My father is Vice Admiral Willis Orville Thompson of the Royal Navy."

"Oh, yes. I do remember sending that invitation. However, your RSVP must have become lost in transit. We were not expecting you."

Alice cast her gaze to the floor, allowing her brother the opportunity to resume the conversation. "I am afraid the family has been otherwise occupied with the funeral of our mother. She passed a fortnight ago from smallpox. We do apologize for arriving unannounced."

I brought a gloved hand to my mouth to stifle a gasp. The death of a family member at any time was tragic, but at the holidays... "I was not aware. There was nothing printed in the paper of her passing."

"Our father wanted to keep it quiet and simple."

"Oh. Well, it is most regrettable. I offer my humblest sympathy."

"Thank you. The Admiral thought it was in Alice's best interest to attend a gala as a way to assuage her loss." Alice's brother offered his explanation as he blinked at the sitting room beyond the candlelit foyer. He, too, appeared to need the distraction, although the moment passed swiftly before he found himself again. "Please, excuse my rudeness. I am Captain Jules Everett Thompson."