Chapter 11

Curtis and Olive rode the bus to the Geanor Mountain Park. Because it was so late, the bus was completely empty. They walked to the west playground, near the campgrounds. Olive sat down on a swing and began kicking her feet in the wood chips. Curtis took the swing next to her and said, "I come here sometimes when I feel defeated." "I haven't been on the swings since I was a little girl. My dad brought me, after my mom died." Curtis didn't say anything. "I am sorry for what Jay's dad is doing. If it counts for anything, he doesn't like me either." Curtis smiled. Then, he stood up and started pushing her on the swing. "Close your eyes and go to your happy place. Let the wind, that is hitting your face, push all the bad feelings, fear, and thoughts out of your mind," he said. 

She did as he said, and just enjoyed the warm air brushing against her skin. It really was calming, and at that moment, nothing else mattered; she felt at peace. After about ten minutes, the swing came to a complete stop. She opened her eyes and smiled. Curtis was sitting back on the swing next to her, and she felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from her shoulders, even if just for the moment. "See it is cathartic. Just being there in the moment all alone with no worries," he said smiling. "So, how often do you come here?" "At least once a week." "Your parents don't get mad at you for being out so late?" "My mom works late, and my dad falls asleep waiting on her to get home. They know that I am safe, and I can take care of myself. They'll text me if they need me," he explained.

She stood up and walked over to a picnic table that was intended for parents. She climbed up on top and laid down; she wanted to stare at the stars. They were so beautiful and peaceful, all those twinkling lights. Curtis walked over to where she was and bent down to look at her. "What are you doing?" "Stargazing. I am not usually out this late, and there are no lights outshining the stars." Curtis shook his head smiling. Then, he laid next to her, placing his arms under his head. "You are completely different from all the people you hang around with," Curtis said. "What do you mean by that?" "Well, Faye and Jennifer are way to chicken to lay on a picnic table in the middle of the night with someone they know nothing about. Jay is a prick, and Will is too much of a goody to be out this late. Then, there is Munch, who is more interested in people pleasing than having fun." Olive turned her head to look at him. "Those are just one side, of all of them. I may not be getting along with all of them, right now, and I may not be talking to some of them, right now. But they are more complex than you know. And you are wrong; I do know you, at least a little." He turned his head to look at her. They were only inches apart. Olive stared into his eyes. She had never noticed how kind they were before. She thought for a moment that he might kiss her. 

All of a sudden, a loud growl drew their attention from the trees. Curtis and Olive immediately sat up and stared into the darkness. Olive blinked a few times to try to get her eyes to focus. "We should probably get going," Curtis said. He was staring into the trees. "It is getting late," Olive agreed. "Let's head back over to the parking lot; the bus is bound to come back soon." Olive didn't argue; she stood up and started backing away from the table and away from the trees. Curtis was following her actions, very slowly. There was a very loud sound that made Olive jump. It sounded like a tree had fallen. "Olive, run!" She didn't need to be told twice; she took off running for the parking lot that was a good ten yards away. 

Curtis was right next to her in seconds. "You run awful slow for someone who exercises every day," Curtis yelled! "Like I keep telling Jay, I don't run." He grabbed her arm, and they ran towards the parking lot. Olive turned her head to look behind them. There was a huge shadowy thing chasing them with a scythe. What is that thing? It had the head of a bulldog and the body of a wrestler on steroids. It was wearing a long cloak, and it was taller than some of the trees. Her heart started pounding in her chest when she noticed it's eyes. They were glowing red and dead set on her and Curtis. Why did this stuff keep happening to her? She hoped that Curtis hadn't seen that thing; she didn't want to have to explain what was going on, not that she really could.