He is interrupted suddenly when Bonnie enters the classroom, late. It was unlike her to be late; I share a concerned look with Elena.

“Sorry I’m late,” Bonnie says breathlessly.

“Looks like we’ll be a full occupancy today,” Alaric says. “Welcome home Bonnie and welcome back Stefan and Alayne, who I know have been around town but have been ditching school. Everyone, do not follow their example.”

The class laughs at that and I duck my head in slight embarrassment for being exposed like that. I glare at Alaric who just chuckles to himself.

“Right, Founders’ Day. What does it mean to have a Founders’ Day?” Alaric continues. I zone out on him, I’m more focused on Bonnie.

I had tried smiling at her but she just gave me a cold look and ignored me. I look over at Elena who just shrugs.

***

“Bonnie!” Elena calls after her after school has ended that day.

Bonnie turns and notices me with Elena. “Hey,” she replies curtly.

“We tried to grab you after class but you already took off,” Elena says. “How are you?”

“We’re dealing, it’s been hard,” she says shortly.

Elena nods. “Everyone here really missed you.”

“Yeah everything’s been hard after Grams’ funeral and after you told me the tomb spell failed, I just didn’t want to come back.” She shoots me a dirty look when she mentions the tomb and the spell.

“I hope you understand why I called. I wanted you to know before you came home,” Elena says.

“Yeah, well your call has given me the time to sort out the mess in my head and where my priorities lie,” Bonnie snaps.

“What is that supposed to mean?” I interject.

“Nothing,” barks Bonnie. “I don’t want to talk to you right now.”

“Look, I know it’s been really hard but-”

Elena is interrupted when Caroline comes running over. “Bonnie! Bonnie! Thank god you’re home! I know we talked every day but I missed you. How are you doing?”

Bonnie’s mood seems to have changed completely. “Better, much better. I’m glad to be back and I’ve been trying to keep myself busy.”

“Well I can help with that,” Caroline smiles widely. “Let’s go shopping! You need to help me pick the perfect dress for the Founders’ court.”

“The Founders’ court, did I miss something?” Elena looks confused and left out.

“The Founders’ court,” Caroline says. “You know, Miss Mystic Falls? They announced it today and you and I are both on it.”

“Oh my god I’ve been studying for that so long ago that I completely forgot,” Elena blinks.

“Yeah,” Caroline laughs lightly. “Wait, so are you dropping out then?”

“I can’t,” Elena shakes her head.

“No?”

“Her mom is the one who wanted her to enter,” Bonnie explains.

“Well I feel like I’m intruding on some old memories here so I’m just going to leave now.” I try smiling politely at the girls but Elena is the only one that really returns my smile.