Chapter 23: Harper's Hollow

Start from the beginning

"He'd like to go back to his homeland and visit some friends and family for a while," she says, glancing at him. His long braid sways back and forth across his back as the sun warms his russet skin. "I've never been to Acadia so I figured why not see more of what the earth offers," she says with a shrug.

The thought of the two riding south to Amiri's homeland brings a smile to my face. "At least those two will get their happy ending," I think.

"I wish things could be that simple for me," I tell her, gripping the leather reins as a distraction. "That it could be black and white."  

"They could be," she begins, "After we talk to King Robert—explain the situation about Rose—perhaps he will have a change of mind when it comes to you."

Smirking, I shake my head, "He believes me to be nothing more than a murderous thief. In some ways he's right," I say, thinking of the men I've killed. Though the baron was my first he certainly wasn't the last. Some I could have let go perhaps, have them swear that they would live honest lives in exchange, but I didn't. Instead, my blade ended their life without so much as a second-thought.

"I'm sure when he finds out how you saved not only all of us, but his son as well, that he will be more than grateful to have you live in the kingdom," she says.

My lips purse as my eyes tighten, "But that's the thing. I do not wish to live in the kingdom. That lifestyle isn't for me. I'd feel like an outsider roaming those halls. Draped in fancy dresses pretending I care about who would be attending such and such ball? No thanks."

Laria chuckles and we duck under a low hanging branch that our mounts guide us under. "Have you spoken to Crispin about this? Your time is running out," she says.

My left shoulder rises and falls, "Yes and no. When we have it's been brief. I don't really care for thinking of the matter. I could never ask him to leave Paevia with me, forsaking his duty as a prince," I explain and give my head a shake, "It's wrong and unfair."

Silence befalls us and we ride another half-hour when a small town comes into view and our pace slows.

Amiri sighs and looks at Crispin, giving him a pathetic look. "Do you think that since it is our final night, we can stop and treat ourselves to some mead and food?"

Crispin smirks and rolls his emerald eyes. "I suppose so. Given that we are far enough from any hostile territory we should be safe, and I'd say we earned it."

Even with the looming thoughts in the back of my mind, I perk up at the thought of getting a proper bath and meal tonight along with one final hurrah with my friends.

A wide grin sneaks its way onto Amiri's face and he sits up straight. "Well considering how many times I've saved your hide on this trip, I'd say so," he says, superiority in his tone though we all know he is kidding.

The four of us begin a slow trot towards the small town and examine its surroundings. With the wide rolling plains surrounding it and the winding creek that appears to run through its center, a name comes to mind. "Is this Butchers Creek?" I ask, turning to my left towards Crispin. I had heard of the town in passing but always imagined it to live up to its name.

He gives me a nod and a reassuring smile, "Aye, but don't let the name discourage you. Butchers Creek has always been very...hospitable in the past. It also has one of my favorite inns as well," he says. "Though they are a small community, they have a full menu, large private baths, and some of the best spirits you've ever tasted."

"Hmm," I hum, slightly taken aback by this information. I guess—considering the short distance they are from Paevia—they try to keep all passerby's happy in case they get a visitor from the palace. "Do they know you well there? You and your brothers must stop by often," I ask.