Chapter Three.

"Have a good night Madam"

"Thank you, Ann. You too"

She nods and leaves my room. But, before I can take off my red satin dressing gown someone knocks at my door.

"Yes"

Then, I see Alice opening the door.

"I am sorry Madam. But, someone is asking to see you"

"At that time of the night? Who is it?" I ask, surprised.

"A Mr Shelby, Madam"

I sigh, already annoyed by this impromptu visit.

"Fine. Where is he?"

"I led him in the guest living room"

I thank my maid and close my dressing gown with its satin belt and leave my room. I walk down the stairs and cross a lot of rooms to get to the guest wing. When I finally arrive in the main living room, I see Mr Shelby standing in front of the chimney in what looks like a very expensive suit and coat.

"Mr Shelby"

He lift his head to look at me.

"May I ask why you came to my house at such a late hour?"

"I invited you to dinner Ms Langdon" He replies with his gruff voice.

"I know. It does not explain why you are here"

"You didn't come"

"And you decided to visit me at 11 pm because I did not come to your dinner?"

"Nobody refuses a dinner with Thomas Shelby" He says.

Right after it, my guest starts to walk toward me.

"Well, I did not accept to come"

"And I invited you" Repeats Mr Shelby.

He starts to be close to me and I am not comfortable with men being close to me.

"I don't know where you come from but here, in Birmingham, nobody refuses a dinner with me nor decline an invitation"

"I am not from Birmingham" I reply.

"And you don't know who I am"

Mr Shelby finally stops, only a few centimetres away from me. From where I stand, I can smell his perfume but also the nasty smell of the many cigarettes he has smoked over the evening.

"Why didn't you come?"

"I am not interested in any dinner which implies a man who insulted me and my entourage"

"Your driver is your entourage?"

"Ackley is my entourage. Just like every servants in this castle. And I ask everyone around me to be respectful to them"

Mr Shelby seems more than confused by my behaviour. A small smirk appears on his lips and I swear he is mocking me inside of his head. But, I don't care. I do not care about what he could think of me.

"Why did you help me the other day?" He asks with his hands in his pockets.

"Because you were injured"

"So, you would've helped anyone?"

"Of course"

"But it fell on me" He says.

"I am sorry Mr Shelby but it is late and I would like to go to sleep"

He seems to think for a few moments. Thinking of what?