Chapter 27

"Hey, Rory," Aaron said, smiling as his eyes drifted over me in a way that was likely meant to be obvious.

"Are you out of your fu..."

"Hi, Gail!" Aaron said loudly, cutting me off and looking past me, at Seth’s little sister. He then had the nerve to flash me a warning look, and I hated him for it. He was the jerk. And he sure as hell wasn’t supposed to be pointing out that I was being one by raising my voice in front of a little girl. I looked at Gail, suddenly hating that she was there. What I hated more, was that she was smiling her cute, toothless smile at Aaron. Obviously, she didn’t know any better.

"Hi, Aaron! Are you coming to my house, too?"

"Not this time," Aaron told her. "I just wanted to say hi to you and Rory real quick." His eyes moved to mine. "Hi. Funny, finding you with Seth, isn’t it?" There was a certain amount of resentment in his voice. I could have kicked myself when it actually made me feel guilty. I frowned, and tried to remain as calm as possible. There was no sense in blowing up, with Gail right there next to me.

"It’s none of your business," I stated, hoping he’d take a hint as my eyes drifted suspiciously to Aaron’s hands, which happened to be on the steering wheel. Aaron saw the look and made a disgusted sound as he released the wheel, looking annoyed.

"Are you fu... are you kidding me?" Aaron demanded, roughly releasing the steering wheel. "I just wanted to talk!" He looked entirely offended. "What’s with you, Rory?"

"Me?" I demanded. He was unbelievable. He also had the nerve to roll his eyes.

"Come on, Rory, let’s go somewhere and talk," he said, sounding as if he had no doubt that I’d actually get up and go with him.

"Excuse me?"

"Let’s go for a walk. Come on, I’m tired of playing games here."

"I wanna go for a walk," Gail spoke up. I glanced at her, and then desperately looked around, wondering where Seth was before I glared at Aaron.

"We both know you wanna talk to me," Aaron insisted. "Now come on." He slid his hand across the seat, and when his fingers brushed over mine I jerked my hand away.

"You’re completely delusional," I informed him.

"What’s dulashanal?" Gail asked, and I glanced at her again before lowering my voice towards Aaron.

"Go. Away."

"Look," he said, leaning closer, "I don’t know what your problem is, but..."

"What my problem is?" I demanded. "I told you what my problem is! It’s you."

"Why? Because I had a couple drinks and now you think I don’t like you anymore?" he replied, making sure to sound like he was speaking to a toddler. I resented that. "Please. Rory, stop kidding yourself, and stop trying to get to me, because it’s not working."

"What the...what are you talking about?" I demanded.

Aaron lowered his voice even more.