I

Translucent clouds of breath drifted out of the fiery-haired girls soft pink lips. An icy cold breeze sent shivers through her body, causing her to pick up the pace. She was riding an old battered skateboard, her long ginger hair blowing in the cool breeze. Swiftly rounding the corner, she flicked up her board and slid it under her arm as she walked into the halls of school. Crowds of middle schoolers stood around the hall gossiping, which made Max want to walk right back out of those doors. She couldn't of course, her attendance was already lower than the majority of students. Making her way to her locker, she saw some of her friends were already stood there. She approached them and greeted them with fist bumps before slinging her skateboard in her locker.

"Sup Madmax," said Mike, "what's been going on? Mou've been MIA for like 3 weeks?" The raven-haired boy looked at her with a puzzled look on his face. She couldn't tell them where she'd really been, so she just acted natural and told them,

"Family stuff, nothing important." Suddenly felt a small tap on her shoulder, and turned around to see Will. She couldn't hide her excitement to see him, she had a soft spot for him.

"Will! Sup man?" she exclaimed pulling him into a hug. He was the only one in the group who was willing to hug her, and although she had the whole 'tough girl' act going on, she really enjoyed having someone in the group who wasn't such a doosh. Will was a lot more feminine than the rest of the group, which was probably why she connected with him more.

"Hey Max, hi guys!" Will replied.

"Seriously dude, new hair again?! Gosh, make up your mind!" Lucas joked, pushing him lightly. The group began to laugh, they always joked about Wills hair. Today it was parted down the middle, cut a little shorter than before.

"So guys, pizza and gaming night at mine on Saturday? My mom got me the new Atari for my birthday last week, so we can play on that!" Mike suggested.

"Hmm, I'll have to check my schedule.." mocked Lucas.

"Yeah I might be busy with my other friends.." said Max, playing along.

"Fuck you guys, be over at 7. Oh and Dustin? Don't. Be. Late!" Mike ordered.

"I wouldn't dream of it!" Dustin exclaimed as the group burst into laughter again as they all knew too well, Dustin is ALWAYS late! As if on cue, the bell rang and they all went their separate ways.

(skip to after school)

It was 3:15, so Max had 15 minutes to spare before track. She roamed the halls towards the vending machine, grabbed a snickers bar and then headed to the changing rooms to get ready. Max loved track, just the thrill of running, the adrenaline pumping through her veins. Swinging open the doors to the changing rooms, she hung her backpack and track kit on a peg in the corner where she usually changes. Taking off her shirt, she felt a sharp twang on her back and spun around to see Riley grinning at her.

"Gotcha!" a girl with shoulder length brown hair and bright blue eyes giggled.

"Fuck you Riley!" exclaimed Max, laughing a little herself. She wasn't very close with the track team but they got along. She liked them a lot, but preferred sticking to her group. Hearing the door open, the girls turned their heads to see Coach Millers walk in with a girl walking behind her. Whispers spread around the room, and Max wondered who's the girl was. She couldn't quite see her, so she just put on her shirt and then turned to see what coach had to say.

"Afternoon girls, practice will start in 10 so just be out on the field and stretching by then. This is Jane, she's new to the school and is going to be joining the team so make sure you make her welcome. Now come on, less gossip more focus! It's cold out so it's going to be a tough practice. Let's go!" Coach Millers exclaimed, clapping to signal them to get moving.

The team turned back around, not taking much notice of the girl. Max's row of pegs was empty, so Jane went and hung her belongings on the hook at the opposite end and began to change. Max turned to see what she was like as she couldn't quite see before. Although she didn't know why, Max began to feel butterflies in her stomach. The girl was gorgeous. She had shoulder length caramel brown hair, and lightly tanned skin. She was wearing skinny black jeans, with an oversized hoodie that had a broken heart embroidered on the bottom of her sleeve. Tucking a lose strand behind her ear, the girl began to take off her hoodie and shirt. The butterflies in Max's stomach grew. Her body was perfect, Max just couldn't help staring. 'Snap out of it, Max. She's probably not even into girls, and she's gonna think your weird if you stare.' Turning her attention back to getting changed, she still couldn't help but take one last look at Jane. She was now changed into her kit, and she looked way cuter than any of the other girls. Pulling her hair back, she loosely tied it back and made her way out. Max felt herself rushing so she could get the chance to talk to the girl, but she was too late as Jane was already on her way out. With a sigh, Max tied her own hair back and jogged out onto the field.

Authors Note : Y'all please let me know if this is any good, and i'm sorry there hasn't been any interaction between jane and max yet but this is going to be a slow burner! <3