9│THE MORNING AFTER

Comenzar desde el principio

Noticing the change in her tone, the boy's expression softened slightly and he turned to look at the mostly empty plates. "There's still peanut butter and marshmallows."

Alexa shrugged sullenly. "Who cares?"

Five rolled his eyes before picking up the toast and taking a bite out of it. He made exaggerated eating noises in hopes of making her feel better he did feel a bit bad for laughing at her, after all. The girl was stubborn, though, and didn't do so much as smile. However, it didn't take long for the taste really hit him and his eyes widened. "Lexa, you should try this!"

Still grumpy, Alexa picked up her own toast and took an angry bite out of it but her eyes widened as she did so. "You're right!"

"I think you're onto something. Everybody should try this!"

Her mood quickly evaporated and she smiled slyly. "Or it could just be. . . y'know, our thing?"

His eyes scanned over her expression for a moment. A small smile appeared on his own and he nodded, but then his smirk appeared again. "Just one thing Lexa."

Giving him a wary look, she asked, "what?"

"Promise you won't try cooking anymore?" He couldn't help grinning despite her hitting his arm harshly again but this time, she was smiling too.

☂☂☂

After much convincing and perhaps some wheedling, Alexa finally got Five to agree to spend the night at her apartment. She made him swear that he wouldn't spacial jump away the second she fell asleep— after all, even world-savers needed their rest. It was now morning and Alexa was at the stove with a soft smile on her face as she remembered the first time she'd tried cooking. At the sound of Five getting up (he'd slept on the couch) she glanced up. "Good morning, sleepyhead."

The comment caused him to look at her wide-eyed as he asked in a panicked tone, "what time is it?"

The blonde rolled her eyes. "It's just an expression, dummy. It's only seven."

"Why are you up this early then?" He was used to waking up early and not sleeping well but there was no reason for her to be up.

Giving him a look, she answered, "this is sleeping in for me too, y'know. I usually have to get up earlier for teaching."

Five walked over to the kitchen and his eyes landed on the stove. "I thought I told you not to cook?"

Rolling her eyes again, Alexa retorted, "and I don't remember promising that I wouldn't?"

She had him there, Five realized, so he changed the subject as he poured himself a cup of coffee that she'd made. "Teaching?"

"Uh, yeah. I became an art teacher," she said almost awkwardly.

The boy gave her a surprisingly soft— if not a bit guilty— smile as he raised the mug to his lips. She followed her future, he thought. If he'd been younger, there would've been a wistful follow-up thought about his own, but now he was just pleased that she'd done something with her life instead of moping around like Luther. But then, that was unfair— Alexa had always been more self-motivated than their brother.

Sliding the eggs onto their plates— which already had their snack on them— she handed him one as she said, "I know there wasn't much food in the apocalypse so I won't be offended if you don't eat it if it's too much, but I thought you might want something anyway. No one can live off of coffee alone, you know."

Nodding in thanks, they sat down at the table next to her kitchen and he was surprised to see that Dolores was already sitting in a spare chair. Alexa didn't say anything as he adjusted the mannequin to his liking but when he was done, she asked, "so what's next?" He gave her a clueless look— which was kind of cute, Alexa thought— before she quickly shook the idea away. "With saving the world," she clarified.