The blond one gave me a sympathetic look. "You okay?"

I nodded and gave them a weak half smile. "Yeah. What can you do, y'know?"

Jawline smiled warmly. "I'll get the chicken burger with fries."

"And I'll have the same thing with a side of gravy." the blond put in.

I smiled, thankful for their simple orders. "Of course. That'll be right up."

I rang it in, taking deep, calming breaths. Tom smiled at me. "That's it, kid. Just keep calm and be nice to them, they'll be out of here soon." I nodded.

"How's everything tasting here?" I asked.

The couple glared at me. "Good." the woman said, almost regretfully. "It's good that there's at least one competent staff member working right now."

I bit my lip. "I'm sorry that you feel that way."

The man huffed.

"Miss y/n." One of the boys called. I hurried over, glad for the excuse to leave that table.

"What can I get you guys?" I asked, smoothing my blouse.

The blond smiled. "Oh nothing, just thought you might want a break from that."

A genuine smile tugged on my lips. "Not to talk rudely behind a customer's back, but thank you," I said quietly, now grinning.

"My name's Corbyn. And my friend is Jonah." The blond stuck out his hand and I shook it, his warmth seeping into my chilled fingers.

The other boy also stuck out his hand and I shook it as well. "Nice to meet you both."

"Do you get people like that a lot?" Corbyn asked, jerking his head in the direction of the couple.

"Not all the time. You're bound to meet some less than pleasant customers in any industry though."

"We get that." Jawline said. "We're in the music industry and we definitely understand unhappy customers."

"Oh really? That's pretty cool. So what do you do?"

Blondie's eyes lit up. "We're in a band actually."

"A man band." Jonah piped up.

"That's so cool!" I exclaimed.

Corbyn smiled at my enthusiasm. "Yeah. How do you get through shifts like this without screaming?"

"Tom says to just keep my head up and be as polite as possible. The customer's always 'right' anyway."

Corbyn almost bristled. "Tom... your boyfriend?"

I stared for a second before giggling a little.

Both boys looked at me confused.

I turned to the kitchen. "Hey Tom, are you my boyfriend?" I laughed.

Tom's weathered face appeared in the passthrough bar. "Absolutely, kid." he chuckled.

I blew him a kiss and turned back to the boys. They both looked at each other and chuckled.

I shook my head. "I'm as single as any of my socks."

Corbyn smirked a little. "In that case, what are you doing when you get off?"

"And just what are your intentions there, Blondie?" I asked, a playful look on my face.

"To take a very pretty girl I just met out and buy her ice cream, risking the possibility of her harvesting my organs in a warehouse somewhere." He leaned closer, smirking more.

I nodded slowly, biting my lip. "I'm off in half an hour."

My buzzer vibrated at my hip and I turned to the kitchen to see Tom pushing out two plates onto the passthrough bar. I smiled over my shoulder at the two boys and went to grab their food.

I set down their plates in front of them. "Can I get you anything else?"

"Your number." Corbyn said as Jonah answered, "No, this is perfect."

I laughed and grabbed my notepad, scribbling down my number before placing the piece of paper in front of Blondie.

***

I set the check in front of the couple and backed off only to be called back. "Waitress." The man snapped.

"Can I get something for you, sir?"

"This can't be right." He threw the receipt at me. "Extra peppers should not cost an extra dollar when there should've been peppers on the pizza already."

"I'm sorry sir, but Mary's special pizza doesn't come with peppers. Extra peppers cost a dollar. I'm sorry that our menu wasn't explicit in that fact."

"Take it off my bill." The man snapped.

I bit my lip. "I'm sorry but I can't do that for you, sir-"

The man stood up suddenly and I stumbled back. His fists were clenched. My eyes widened and I froze. "That's ridiculous. This diner is a sham."

A hand came down on my shoulder and I looked back. Tom stood over me. He wasn't a short man, on the contrary, he was 6'2 and towered over both the man and I. His deep smile lines had hardened into an almost scary mask. "Sir I'm going to have to ask you to pay and leave." He rumbled. "We have a zero tolerance policy for aggression against our staff."

The man spluttered before slapping $25 on the table, shooting me a dirty look before storming out of the diner, his wife in quick pursuit.

"Go home kid. I'll call Christie (sorry if that's your name) in early." Tom said, rubbing my back. "You did good today. None of that was your fault, okay?"

I nodded and rushed into the back. I pulled on my hoodie and slung my bookbag over my shoulder before exiting the building.

I stopped outside to shove in my earbuds and then continued.

"Y/n!"

I stopped and pulled out my earbuds at the call of my name.

Corbyn stopped next to me. "How about that ice cream and potential organ harvest?"

I giggled. "Sure thing, Blondie."