Chapter 3

I was hauled around for what seemed like ages, but I couldn't be sure where to because I had long since lost any sense of direction. Everything was pitch black, the only noises I could hear being the quiet whisper of footsteps around me. I had stopped struggling against my restrainer's iron grip because it was futile. He was just that much stronger than me. Then, finally, we stopped and I heard the low creak of a door being opened.

We stepped inside and someone turned the lights on. There was a soft click before a dim, yellow glow lit everything up. I sighed in relief. At least I wasn't completely in the dark anymore. I took a quick glance around me, I was in a nondescript wooden cabin, and then looked at my kidnappers. I could only see the two men who had attacked the doorman. They looked like twins with the same pale, blank face and dark brown hair. I couldn't get a look at the person holding me without shoving my face into his, so I chose to use my imagination. He would be a teen to middle-aged man with some gray hairs, a rough, mean face, and buff body. A kind of hoodlum. I was roughly set into a chair.

"Stay there," someone said.

"Why should I?" I shot back, but then thought of an even more important question. "Forget that. Who are you?"

There was a moment of silence, then the shuffle of feet. "Hmm," the same voice said, thinking aloud. "I guess I could tell you . . . there's no point not to. I mean, you're gonna have to find out in the end. Right. You can call me Darien."

"Cole," one of the twins said.

"Trace," the other followed.

There was a silent pause before the person behind me sighed. "And you...?"

"Ari," I replied, then there was silence again. I hesitated a moment before turning around to look at him.

I stared in surprise and my eyebrows raised slightly. He wasn't old, in fact, he wasn't even close to old. He looked younger than the twins and he was actually legitly handsome. He had a smooth complexion and dark, wind-blown hair. His eyes were light brown color. A pair of perfect lips raised up into a small smile. "A pretty name."

He circled around me and then sat down in the chair in front of me. He beckoned a hand for one of the twins, I really can't tell them apart, and he came to Darien. The other one went to stand at the door. No escaping. I pursed my lips and voiced the question that had been practically burning a hole through my mouth this whole time.

"What is going on?!" I exploded, then glanced down at my stamp which was now just barely there and asked hesitantly, "Is this the light dimension?"

At this he laughed out loud and shook his head in amusement. "Do you think this is the Light Dimension? Does it look light?"

"No. But that's why I asked," I replied tersely, miffed by his teasing. "Just explain already."

"Fine, fine," he agreed. "So this is actually the Dark Dimension. Get it?" he smirked at me.

I raised an eyebrow, trying to stay impatient but his stunning smile was really making it hard, so I chose to remain silent and hoped that that would speak for itself.

"The Dark Dimension is tiny. Like, tiny. In comparison to the Light Dimension, this place is nothing. That's why they get the majority of the souls. It's not fair! Why should we be the ones who have to deal with all the weakest souls? Just because they're bigger does not mean they're better. It's so goddamn frustrating!" he exclaimed.

I thought about what he said for a moment and then asked, "So you don't want to deal with me, either?"

"No, no," he said absentmindedly, still worked up from his little tirade. "We kidnapped you to prove a point that they are, in fact, not better than us. You, my dear, are one of our many kidnapped treasures. See that stamp on your hand?" he asked, nodding at my hand. I looked down at my stamp. It was barely there, but I could still see the words Light Dimension.

"So I was supposed to go to the Light Dimension," I realized. "Send me there. I don't want to stay in this depressing place."

"Tch," he made a noise and looked at me, a little annoyed. "I never said you had a choice, besides, you've never been there. How do you know it's better?"

"Well, for one thing, I know I'll at least be able to see there. And I'll bet the people there don't go kidnapping other people."

"You'll learn to deal with it. As for the kidnapping, we only kidnapped to prove a point," he said defensively. "They're the ones being unfair. As soon as we're ready, we are soo gonna-," he cut himself off abruptly, piquing my interest, but before I could question him further, he held up a hand and continued talking. "You don't need to know any more for now. As soon as that stamp on your hand fades you'll be fully integrated into the Dark."

I swallowed and nodded uncertainly. "What does that mean?"

"You'll understand later," he said as he stood up. "For now, I'm just going to bring you to measure your Potential."

He walked out and the twins followed. I trailed behind and then stopped when someone turned the lights out. The oppressive darkness was back. But this time I saw a tiny shimmer of light. It came from my stamp, and I brought it closer to my face curiously. I hadn't noticed it before.

"Let's go," Darien said impatiently and reached for my hand. I felt his cool skin brush mine and drew back in uncertainty. He chuckled and I heard him take a step back."Your loss."

Damn. He was right. I couldn't walk through this darkness for my life. My feeble stamp light wasn't going to help either. Grudgingly, I reached out for his hand. He intertwined our fingers and I was led to wherever I got my "Potential" tested. I stumbled across uneven grounds and felt my heart start to speed up. I had the unnerving feeling I was being watched.

When we finally entered another building, he let go of my hand. "I'll see you later," he said casually. "Just follow my friend, Kane."

I felt someone else push me roughly forward. I knew it wasn't Damien. "Wait! No, I don't wanna go anywhere. Leave me alone already! Hey! Stop!"

Unfortunately, my protests fell on deaf ears and I was shoved down some kind of corridor. Didn't this place have lights? I heaved a sigh of relief, the second time that day, as I heard a click and the lights came on.

Kane picked up something that looked like a stethoscope, but instead of a round end it had a small, black box. On the end where the earpieces would be were two flat pads. He circled the pads around my arm then clicked something on. I heard a buzz and then felt a tingle run down the length of my arm.

I watched Kane curiously. He was staring intently at the instrument, and then he glanced up at me. He looked down at the instrument, and then back to me in surprise. I watched a slow smile form on his face, and malicious glee shone in his eyes like road flares. Warning. Danger. Unease blossomed in my stomach as he slowly nodded and continued to stare at me with barely concealed excitement.

Oh damn.

******************************************

uurg was this chapter boring ? i thinks so too a tad >O asides from that .. an updateee . . . ! :D finally -,- yeahhp i hope you like it !! ty for reading :) <3