Chapter 5

Nicola's POV

I sit down in my chair and spin myself around as I try to focus on the work in front of me. My mind keeps going back to that warrior I saw a few days ago, I should have at least gotten his name.

A knock comes at my door and is followed by Cameron peeking his head in.

"Ready for dinner?" He asks me

A smile lights up on my face as I nod back to him. This is just what I need to get my mind off this unknown man. I hop out of my seat and turn off the lights in my office before closing the door.

Cameron drapes his arm around my shoulders like he always does as we walk out of the building. It feels so normal yet I wonder if I've been reading this wrong the entire time. Maybe he has been giving me hints and I just haven't been picking up on them.

We get to the restaurant and order our drinks while we look over the menu. I'm not sure why we even get one when we both always get the same thing. This is our usual 'go to' spot and he always gets the steak, cooked medium rare, while I get the burger with pepper jack cheese.

Cameron starts to chuckle and I look up at him and raise my eyebrow in question.

"Why do we even have menus? We know we just get the same thing." He says to me.

I start to smile at that. "I was literally just thinking the same thing."

His face softens into a smile as he looks over my face. "You're really beautiful tonight."

"Wish I could say the same about you." I smirk, trying to joke and change the conversation back to normal. I can already feel where this is going and I'm not sure I'm ready to address it yet.

I expect him to laugh but instead he takes my hand.

"Look Nic, I want you to know that you mean a lot to me, you always have. And I know you haven't found your mate yet, but just know that I'll always be here for you."

I blink at him, not sure what he's trying to say.

"What do you mean?" I ask hesitantly. "Are you asking for us to be more than friends?"

"It doesn't have to be right now, but it's time you know how I feel about you. How I've felt about you since we've met. I just know you haven't met your mate yet and didn't want to push it."

"We both have mates out there." I say softly.

He looks down at the ground and then smiles sadly back at me.

"Cam?"

He looks away again, refusing to meet my eyes, and I start to feel uneasy.

"Cameron, you haven't found your mate yet, have you?"

His face is pained as he nods.

"Yeah... yeah I met her before I met you. But she's gone now. She's dead."

"Oh no..." I cover my hand over my mouth. "I... I had no idea."

He shrugs as if it's no big deal even though we both know it is. It's a huge deal. "It's okay, it was a while ago and we never mated. It took time but it doesn't hurt like it did before. I just want you to know I really do mean what I say though. As long as you'll have me, I'm yours. I'm not asking you to choose me right now, because I know you haven't met your mate yet, but if for some reason he's a complete fool or something happens, just know I'm here."

I squeeze his hand lightly as I take in this new information. I don't think anyone knew Cameron had met his mate yet, and if they did, they've never said anything. Freya whimpers softly at this news, hurting for our friend's loss.

A few minutes later our food comes out and we fall back into causual conversation with one another.

"So, any new projects at work?" Cameron asks me.

"Actually, there's a super cool one we're about to start." I start to get excited as I go on explaining. "Seriously Cameron, it's awesome! Apparently they want us to design new armor for the warriors that will stay on when they shift, so it won't only protect their human form, but their wolf form as well."

"Wow. That sounds pretty bad ass, but also difficult. Is that even possible?" He questions.

"Yeah, I mean, it will be hard but I think it can be done." I mumble with a mouth full of burger. "But that's what makes it so fun is the challenge. Plus it will be pretty epic to see all of you guys strolling up to battle with armor on and then, BAM! They everyone shifts and still, armor. No one would expect it."

Cameron just chuckles at me as I wave my hands in the air like a maniac as I talk. "Yeah that will be cool, but we haven't been to battle in 80 years so it might be a while before you get to see that, if you ever do. But I would love to try it on."

"Oh don't worry, I'll need someone to test out my prototypes." I grin at him. "You know, someone big and strong, and of course attractive because if I'm going to work with them I at least need a view. So I was thinking of asking Parker to be-"

Cameron growls as his fist collides with the table which sets me into a fit of laugher.

"You were messing with me, weren't you?" Cameron says as he glares at me.

"Me?!" I ask as I point a finger at myself "Why Cameron, I would never!" I say and try to look offended but a giggle pushes out before I erupt into more laughter.

He throws money on the table before he walks over to my side of the table and grabs my arm.

"Let's go before you cause trouble." He pulls me out of my seat with a scowl on his face that delights me more than it should. Pushing his buttons has always been extremely easy and satisfying.

As I head home though my mind drifts shifts back the mystery man. I find myself looking around as I walk, hoping for another glimpse at him, but I know it's only wishful thinking, especially at this time of night. It makes me wonder if I just need to get outside of the pack more. Maybe after this next project I'll request some time off.