[Chapter 2: Reunited]

💚

Once your eyes had finally closed to prevent yourself from going blind, you felt your body disappear. The first instinct you had was to scream, but then you remembered that you had no body anymore. You couldn't even hear (N/N). You didn't hear anything.

Then something filtered into your ears.

Your hands came back first, then your chest, then your legs, then your brain. It took a moment for you to comprehend that you were on your hands and knees on the dirt floor. With the tiniest bit of painful effort you managed to get back on your feet. (N/N), of course, was already on a bench. They were looking around in confusion.

Everything came back to you at once. The castle. The fight. You teleported away to some strange place. The strange being there. We didn't even get their name.

Blinking to let your eyes adjust to the light, you felt more presences coming your way. All three of them were friendly, although you didn't know how (N/N) would react. Suddenly, you felt one of the presences give off an overwhelming amount of joy.

Wait. You knew that presence.

"...(Y/N)?"

Your heart stopped. Then came the sound of (N/N) summoning a knife and probably holding it at a threatening angle, saying, "You."

Turning so fast you thought that you would snap in half, you almost didn't believe your eyes when you saw him.

Dream went pale. Paler than he already was.

Silence. Complete and utter silence. Everything else around you seemed to fade into nothingness. Nothing else really mattered except that he was here and you were here and you were here and he was there.

You were halfway across the room before you realized your legs were moving.

He welcomed you with open arms, hugging you so tightly you didn't mind that it felt like you were about to suffocate. He instantly loosened his grip, smiling so hard you thought his face would crack. You smiled too, feeling suddenly so bright and lighter than air. He peppered the top of your head with kisses before saying, "Oh my stars. I was terrified. I-I... I thought you were dead."

"Well I'm not, silly," you laughed, burying your head in his shirt. "I'm right here."

Even (N/N) seemed to have cooled off during this close moment. Although you didn't see them, you could feel through Dream's intensified aura that they were both slightly confused and slightly... jealous? Longing? It was hard to tell.

After a moment or two more of hugging, he finally let you go. "Ah, (Y/N)" he murmured, "It's... I'm so relieved to see your face again."

"Me too," you whispered back, inhaling deeply. The scent of (F/C) and the feeling of pure euphoria washed over you again. "Me too."

"Hate to be a killjoy," (N/N) drawled, dissipating their knives and walking in your direction, "But there's kinda something bad going on."

Dream's golden eyes flickered up to yours before turning to your doppelgänger. "...Like what?"

The person in the (F/C) hoodie sucked in a deep breath, taking a second to think before letting it out. "Like Nightmare. That's happening."

You heard Ink suck in a breath through his teeth. "Well. That's pretty bad, isn't it?" He said sarcastically, tapping his fingers against his sides.

Dream's eyes grew slightly harder. "What do you mean, 'something bad?' How?"

(N/N) crossed their arms, looking abruptly very small and uncomfortable. "I'm pretty sure that he's going to blow the multiverse to pieces. If not that, he's going to try and find us and rip us to shreds, and then rip those shreds to shreds."

Numbly, you nodded as you remembered your last encounter. "He was so mad," you carried on, shivering a little just thinking about his expression of hatred and disgust. "I thought we were going to be dead for sure. If it wasn't for (N/N), I think we wouldn't have gotten out of there alive."

The guardian raised an eyebrow (though he didn't have any eyebrows), turning to your counterpart. A corner of his mouth twitched upwards into a thankful smile. "Thank you. I'm glad that both of you are safe."

They mumbled something incomprehensible under their breath before saying a bit louder, "Yeah, yeah, all that good stuff. Anyways, is there a place I can lie down? I'm fricking tired as hell and my brain's getting overloaded."

Blueberry raised his hand, bounding on his heels. "Me! Me! I can show you!" You laughed a little at his enthusiasm and how he was so open to this kind of thing despite the fact that (N/N) had just a matter of weeks ago almost destroyed his SOUL. "Allow the magnificent Blueberry to show you to your room!"

Their lips turned upwards a little, like they wanted to smile but couldn't muster the energy to do it. "Sure, Blue. You guys already made a room for me?"

Dream shrugged his shoulders, smiling. "I've been working on it since the moment you two got here. It should be completely developed now."

Their (E/C) eyes lit up in excitement. "You mean I can actually sleep?"

"Yes."

"YES!" They turned to Blue, a huge smile below their tired eyes. "Take me away, you over enthusiastic bonehead."

He nodded eagerly; he either heard the comment and chose to ignore it or just didn't hear it at all. Marching off, your doppelgänger followed closely behind. "It's good that they get some sleep. They need it," Dream said.

"Yeah. About that..." you said, fiddling with your scarf. He noticed, and you quickly complimented, "Thanks for the scarf, by the way. It was really nice. You didn't have to do that—"

"Yes I did—"

"Nightmare," you blurted, unable to keep it in you anymore. "We came here because of Nightmare."

His face turned into an unnamable emotion. Hurt? Anger? Disbelief? Denial? "What did he do to you?" Then his face hardened a little before you could respond, and you stopped before the words could escape your mouth. The air was abruptly dense, weighing down heavily on your lungs.

Dream sighed, looking up through the glass. "We can't discuss this here. It's too open. We need to go somewhere more... private. Where no one will hear us if we go to the right place."

You tapped your fingers together. There were so many places that you could think of that you could go. Eventually, you whittled it down to two decisions, both as good as the other. One seemed a little better though, and that one was...

❤️ Your Bedroom.

💙 Library.

Closed