Chapter 6.

Mason bellowed so loudly that everyone in the cafeteria heard. He was standing on a chair at the moment and was stunned into silence.

Every single student was looking at them with wide eyes. Bad mistake Mason, Lola thought to herself. She looked at Mason who was red in embarassment, then at Zoey who looked guilty and then finally at Carly, who looked slightly hurt.

Looks like she did have a crush on Mason.

Mason sat down and continued to eat his food silently.

"Hey look, I'm sorry Mason, my joke went a bit too far" Zoey said to Mason, whose eyes were focused solely onto his food.

"It sure did" Mason grumbled, his hand was in mid air and he looked as if he was frozen into space.

"So are we cool?" Zoey asked quietly. Her big brown eyes were staring at Mason as she waited for him to answer.

"Uh...let me think about it" Mason said,  humour lacing his voice.

Lola knew that Mason would always forgive Zoey, no matter what she would do, no matter how serious the damage she caused. He would always forgive her.

Zoey waited anxiously for several minutes and Lola smirked. She already knew what Mason's reply was going to be.

"Yep" Mason spoke after a while.

After hearing that one word, Zoey held a grin on her face, so large was that grin, that it showed her pearly white teeth. And without thinking she threw her arms around him. Mason's usually pale face turned pink before he carefully wrapped his arms around her.

Then in a matter of seconds, the pair jumped away from eachother, both their cheeks now tinted with red.

"Uh sorry..." Zoey started.

"No it's okay" Mason finished.

Lola's eyes flitted between the pair before bursting into a fit of laughter. She never would have thought that she would see the day when Zoey Mcmillan would be speechless or the day when Mason Benson would have red cheeks. Well, it looks like two impossible moments happened in a few minutes, and all it took was a hug.

"What?!" The pair exclaimed indignantly.

"Nothing" Lola muttered because clearly the pair did not find this as amusing as her.

***

School was over and Lola was waiting outside the entrance of the forest. She was not going to enter anytime soon. Or at least she was not going to enter alone. Nobody would let her and she was scarred for life after one incident that took place in this very forest.

Lola waited for a while until she could see the burly figure of Luke run towards her. At last. There were no seats around here and Lola had been standing stiffly for about 20 minutes. Her legs had now become numb and she couldn't feel them at all.

"Sorry Lola but I have track practice today, I told Ash that he needed to drop you home. Okay?" Luke panted. Judging by his red face and sweaty forehead and his quick breaths, it looked as if he had run quite a long way.

Lola didn't say anything. Ash probably wouldn't come. He wasn't the most reliable person and he wasn't the most caring either.

"Uhhh..." Lola began after a moment's hesitation but Luke had already started jogging off. Lola sighed in annoyance. Great. Now she had to wait for her enemy to drop her home. Doesn't that have a nice ring to it? Note the sarcasm. 

It made her sound as if she were a little kid. She could look after herself, she certainly didn't need some big, rude buffoon to escort her home.

Lola started counting down the minutes, in order to make time go quicker but instead it resulted in the time going slower than ever.

60...59...58...Lola counted mentally.

3...2...1...

That's it.

Lola had had enough. She had counted for over 30 minutes and she wasn't any longer. Ash clearly wasn't coming.

Lola took a deep breath and put her right foot forward. She entered the forest and immediately the flashbacks of that night surrounded her...