Edaline blinked when she saw her, but she shook herself. "Okay, let's go," she said, tucking Elwin's note into her pocket.

Sophie grasped her mom's hand and they leaped away.

________________

"I always forget that we need to jump into a whirlpool," Sophie said, sighing. She hiked up the hem of her stupid dress as she and Edaline walked over the slippery rocks leading up to the triangular rock that hid all the whirlpool-activating bottles. Sophie stared at the white-crested waves slamming against the shore, imagining the vortex that would soon be overtaking the water.

Edaline opened up the hidden compartment keeping all of the bottles, handing one to Sophie. "Would you do the honors?"

Sophie looked down at the bottle, reading the words scrawled on the label.

                    One whirlpool. Open with care.

She uncorked the top and chucked the bottle into the water, watching it sink in with a small splash and a plunk.

The ocean started to swirl, spraying water everywhere, tossing Sophie's braided hair into her face. She could feel pieces of it start to come loose in the thrashing wind.

"Together?" Edaline shouted.

Sophie nodded. She gripped Edaline's hand, trying to ignore the odd feeling that coursed through her veins at the physical contact she hadn't had for the past seven months and focus on the task at hand.

"Three . . . two . . . one!" Sophie called, and they surged forwards. She wasn't sure if she pulled Edaline or if Edaline had pulled her, but either way, they hurled forward, water seeping into their clothes as they spun in the whirlpool.

The waterside-like tube spat them out. All the water leeched out of their clothing and they sprung back from the sponge at the bottom, flailing in the air for a few moments. Miraculously, through the hands of some unknown force compiled with months of physical training, Sophie landed on her feet.

Edaline smiled. "That was fun."

Sophie gave her a weird look, starting down the street in front of them.

The whirlpool wasn't the only thing Sophie had forgotten about Atlantis. She was once again struck by the luminous beauty the glowing underwater city possessed.

Edaline had caught up to her when Sophie caught a reflection of herself in one of the windows of a building as they passed, and she was surprised to see that her hair was still somewhat put together. And even more surprised to see that it still resembled something like a braid.

As they neared the heart of the city, Sophie became aware of stares following them as they walked by the crowds of people.

Soon, the whispers started, too.

"Is that the girl that saved Atlantis?"

"That's Sophie Foster! The moonlark!"

"No—she's the dire wolf now."

The dire wolf? Sophie slowed, glancing back, but Edaline ushered her along.

  "We haven't seen her in seven months!"

"Right? Where has she been? Maybe she was off on regent business."

"I heard she joined the Neverseen."

"That can't be right."

Sophie looked around, trying to ignore all the strange comments she heard coming from around her. Dire wolf? Regent? Wasn't a regent someone who worked for the Council?