22. a loss is a loss is a loss

The new tour is off to a terrible start, despite the album's smashing success. 

Tommy and Lola aren't on speaking terms, for the first time since they'd met.

Tommy had met a groupie named Roxie only a few weeks before the tour started, and he'd claimed it was love at first sight. Much to everyone else's chagrin, Tommy was adamant that she'd be joining them on tour. Normally, this wouldn't have bothered Lola; since Vince had started getting more serious with Sharise, she'd backed off considerably out of respect. But with Roxie? From the moment she'd met the woman, Lola had gotten a bad vibe from her, had gotten nothing but withering glares and jealous scoffs whenever Lola went anywhere near Tommy.

One particular evening, Lola had kissed Tommy on the cheek before she'd headed home from a club they were partying at, and Roxie had the gall to catch her outside, snarling for Lola to back off. Lola, for her part, wasn't much intimidated by the waifish groupie. Her lip curled as she gave the woman a disdainful look over.

"Don't tell me you're this stupid," Lola actually laughed, though Roxie just raised an eyebrow at her. "You're lucky I don't kick your fucking ass; don't ever think for a second that you call the shots here."

Lola had tried to bring it up to Tommy, but she'd never had the best way with words, and with Tommy love-drunk and Lola bitter and vulgar, it didn't come out the way she'd intended -

"Don't call her a bitch just because you're jealous!" Tommy's not yelling, persay, but he's close enough to it that Lola's hands fist reflexively. They're not even on the tour bus yet, they're loading their gear, and Roxie is late

"I'm calling her a bitch because she's a bitch," Lola snarls, turning her temper on Tommy for the first time, and he seems shocked, but what had he really expected. "She's a gold digger and a -"

"Dude, you're such a hypocrite-"

"Oh shut up; I'm not a hypocrite, I've paid my way from day fucking one, and I think I've been pretty up front about being a whore." Crossing her arms, Lola looks smug, though her heart's not in her words, she's not enjoying it like she did with their usual banter. Tommy's genuinely angry by the look of him, fuming with frustrated, close to banging his head against the bus.

"Oh that's fucking rich," Tommy snorted, crossing his arms, unable to look Lola in the eyes.

"Oh I'm sorry," Lola snapped, sarcastic and sharp, "is it true love Tommy? Did you find The One, your soulmate, after she was done fucking Whitesnake?" Lola sneered.

"Fuck you, you absolute fucking hypocrite. I don't give a shit what you think, I love her -"

"Then you're dumber than I gave you credit for," Lola smirked, no warmth behind her eyes, "fuck dude, you fall for anyone with tits who gives you the time of day." It was mean, plain and simple, her words cruel as they cut him like a knife. He snaps, hands flexing into fists by his sides though he's rooted to the spot.

"My girlfriend isn't a whore, or a bitch; you're just jealous because I'm trying to be a good fucking boyfriend for someone who isn't you. It's not my fault you learned how to love from Nikki fucking Sixx, you possessive asshole!" 

Silence hangs in the air, Tommy's mouth pressed into a thin, unhappy line. It settles, his words, his meaning, taking up all the space between them, and he begins to realise what he said, begins to feel like he's just picked the bad ending of a choose-your-own-adventure novel, with the way Lola's lips curl into a cruel imitation of a smile. It's not what he expected, and there's apologies laying heavy on his tongue, pressing against his teeth as he watches something die behind Lola's eyes.