Chapter Twenty-Four🕷The Break

I don't own anything except any original character and/or any original plot.

🕷

Chapter Twenty-Four: The Break

🕷

The walls were covered in pictures

The walls were covered in pictures. Press pictures of me and Peter, of us in our civilians forms, of Norman, and of blueprints for the Green Goblin suit. What made my heart stop was the realization that every picture of Peter was somehow adjusted. Marks over his face, a red x, scratched out by a knife.

"There's a hidden doorway behind the bookshelf, push it out of the way to enter."

Following Misty's instructions and map laid out on my screens, I easily pushed the bookshelf out of the way. It was on wheels. Waving Peter over, he followed behind me as we walked through the pitch-black hall and emerged in a lab only comparable to that of Dr. Frankenstein. Never had I seen anything quite so ominous, and that was hard to do considering my line of work.

And in the middle of all the equipment, papers, and discarded metals, was Harry. But it wasn't the clean-cut Harry Peter and I were used to. He was dressed in a suit similar to that of Green Goblin's in almost every way. But - and I hated to say it - it was more Harry. More his style, his own design. He created that suit himself, for what reason I didn't want to imagine.

"Harry?" I shoved Peter back toward the hallway, jerking my head in a frantic motion so he would understand. He nodded, and hurried back, closing the door behind him. Peter would set him off long before I would. We needed him calm so we could talk things through.

Peter got back into the hallway just in the nick of time, too. Harry spun around, greeting me with a half-smile and bloodshot eyes. From lack of sleep or crying I wasn't sure. Perhaps it was both.

"Where were you?" He asked, a dangerous edge to his voice when he finally addressed my presence.

"Space," I answered quickly, knowing that any hesitation would make him think I was lying, "That's why I didn't get your calls. I'm sorry, Harry. I would have been here sooner if I could have."

"You're here now," Harry rushed forward, and I flinched when he grabbed my arm, relaxing when I realized he was just leading me somewhere, "I have so many things to show you."

"Harry, what's going on? You sounded upset on your call, and when we- I got here, you were dressed up like the Green Goblin."

Stopping, Harry's grip on my arm tightened, "My head stopped splitting when I put it on. It's not better, but it's not worse. I can think for myself."

"Why was your head splitting? Harry you need to talk to me."

Harry gave me an award-winning smile in response and sat me down on a bench facing an open window. He moved to stand behind me, both of his hands on my shoulders. He was keeping me from running away. He knew exactly what he was doing.