three

❥❥❥❥

1.6k

❥❥❥❥

"I knew it!" Grandpa's head whipped around from his place by the kitchen counter. He stood up quickly and walked towards their room in a rush. Grandma stayed motionless, her eyes stuck open, slowly beginning to tear up. The floorboards creaked softly as he returned, his hands carrying a small box. He sat down near grandma and gingerly placed the box onto his lap. His hand automatically moving to her face to gently wipe her tears away, "Don't cry dear." She sniffled softly and looked down.

He opened the box, when we looked inside all we saw were papers, messily thrown in, almost as if whoever had put everything in had been rushed. His shaky hands looked through the box until his fingertips scraped the bottom as he grasped at something hidden beneath papers.

There he pulled out two pictures and a note, one picture he pulled out was of a rose which had faded greatly, all color once present now mostly gone. The other was two people, he stared at it for a while before looking up to look at my face. His eyes carefully comparing the picture to my face as much as they could. His hand reached out and handed it over to Yunseo, her eyes mimicking what her Grandpa had just previously done. Grandma popped in and began to do the same as they had. I swallowed at the sudden attention, "Back in 1982, when Minhee left he was rushing like he never had. He came to our house in the early morning hours, and practically yelled at us to open our door. When we did he shoved this box into my hand and all he said was," he paused looking at Grandma, who in turn looked back at him and began to finish his sentence, "This box is not to be opened, until you're supposed to open it. You'll know when to open it. When you do open it, give it to the person you opened it for."

Grandma's dainty fingers held onto the picture tightly and she smiled down at it. Her lips curving into a smile just as gorgeous as when she was younger. "We had no idea what he meant, but since he was our friend, we decided to listen to him." Grandpa took the top of the old box and placed it back on the box itself. His arms outstretched towards me, "This is yours." I took the box from his hand and placed it onto my lap, Grandma's hand landed onto my shoulder and she passed me the photograph she had been staring at silently, "You're really special Y/N." When my eyes landed onto the photo I felt a lump from in my throat nervously as I continued to look at the picture. My fingertips tightly held onto it as I felt my hand begin to tremble.

I turned the photo around to read the small labels on the back simply reading, "Minhee and Y/N ♡." I stared for a moment more before I looked up at them all, "Is that me?" Grandma and Grandpa looked at each other knowingly, their eyes saying everything that needed to be said.

"I'm pretty sure it is you."

❥❥❥❥

None of this made any sense. When we got home Yunseo went straight to bed, citing a headache as her reason. I stayed sat at the coffee table looking through the box. Now the box was incredibly normal, there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. It wasn't till I touched a small object at the bottom of the box that something felt odd about it.

The necklace itself was normal. It was a dainty sliver necklace with a small pendant hanging from it. I examined it closely, it was just a moment. All I needed was a moment to realize I was holding, I was holding onto the necklace Minhee would protect with his life.

The necklace his father had given him.

This was his prized possession, and here it was thrown into the bottom of a box, most likely for it to never be seen again. I gently took the necklace and placed it down onto the table, right next to the box. I began to more carefully look at the aged papers, there laid a few receipts, small drawings scribbled onto tiny notes, and letters.