one

Ella's POV- October 2019

I slowly opened my eyes and glanced up at the source of incessant beeping. My mind felt foggy, and everything was a bit blurry, but that was probably because I had no contacts on.

"She's awake"

I stared up at the ceiling blinking slowly trying to get my vision to clear up. As I did that, I heard someone exit the room.

"Honey"

I tried to turn my head, but I couldn't.

"You have a neck brace on"

Well, that explains why.

"Hey"

Dad was a DA (District of Attorney) for the Los Angeles County, which meant his job was to prosecute an individual in a criminal case. Dad always had a serious face at work because he meant business and he was doing his best to bury the criminal. When he was at home or with his family, it was a different case. At the moment his hair was a mess, eyes bloodshot and he was doing his best to compose himself, and failing if I say so myself.

"I'll be okay" I assured him.

It was honestly a freak accident. Theo and I were going through our usual routine of running through our short program. One of the blades from my skates completely loosened during our run-through of the death spin and well as much as Theo tried to hold onto me, my hand slipped. The speed of the spin literally sent me flying to the boards where my arm took most of the impact.

Theo screamed at me not to move and scrambled to get his phone. Nothing hurt, in fact, my arm felt completely numb and I felt a bit dizzy. I thought maybe I had just dislocated my arm and that was it. It was not until we were in the ambulance and the paramedic popped my shoulder back into place that I felt any pain. X-rays showed two fractures, and one required surgery. As it turns out, Theo had already called mom and dad, and they were on their way.

It would be a while since they were in California and we were across the country in New York. I wouldn't feel the time go by since I'd be in surgery.

Now here we were...

"I'm supposed to be telling you that"

I smiled as he reached over and pushed my hair out of my face.

"But you're right. You will be okay and you'll be back on the ice in no time"

I sure hoped so.

"Where's Theo?" I asked.

We may not be on the greatest terms, but I still cared for my brother.

"I guess everyone asking him how the accident happened caused a panic attack"

Theo was my twin brother (I was older though), and also my pairs partner. No, we were not identical considering he was male and I was not (obvs)

"But he should be up soon"

"He's okay though, right?" I questioned.

He nodded.

"Any pain?"

"No" I answered.

He smiled.

"Okay, that's good"

The doctor arrived with my mom and then explained to me how the surgery had gone. I had sustained something referred to as a Monteggia fracture, which was a fracture of the proximal third of the ulna and dislocation of the proximal head of the radius. Basically, my bone snapped like a twig.

"Did you fall with your arm outstretched?"

"I didn't fall" I replied.

"Then what happened?"