c h a p t e r 1 7

t o m   h a d n ' t             been with Evelyn when they had returned to Hogwarts by carriage

t o m   h a d n ' t
            been with Evelyn when they had returned to Hogwarts by carriage. He had been instructing all the new 5th-year prefects on how to properly manage the new first years and round up any straggling students. On the carriage ride back with all his fellow prefects, his partner was Margaret Nott, his follower, William Nott's older sister who was in his year. She had yet to stop touching him and it had been a challenge to keep his cool demeanor in place.

When he arrived at the welcome feast, Evelyn hadn't looked any better, but she had left him a seat next to her and he had welcomed her easy presence over that of his fellow prefect.

The next couple of weeks after that had passed by in a blur. Evelyn had slowly returned to her former self. Tom had found it hard to keep his eyes off of her. She hadn't completely changed over summer, only slightly as all students who spend two months away usually do, but there was something about her.

Tom was sure that her beauty was unnatural at times because of how she made him stop and stare. It had taken him weeks of being in her presence again to realize that, although very beautiful, it wasn't her striking looks that made him watch her all the time. It was her power, the energy that buzzed around her. It was the look in her eyes as if she always knew a secret that he did not.

He watched her now just as intently. She had a large smile on her face as she watched with twisted pleasure as Malfoy and Lestrange cornered a boy who had gone a little far in his pursuit of claiming her interests. He had gotten too handsy and although Evelyn had dealt with the boy personally and quite horrifically in Tom's personal opinion, Tom had sworn to pay his own well wishes toward the boy.

The Gryffindor boy was a 7th year and had just gotten out of the infirmary after his arm had been reconstructed after every single bone in it had been pulverized, but the boys had insisted that he needed to know exactly who Evelyn was now with. Evelyn had first argued that she didn't need to think that there needed to be any more retaliation since she had already dealt with it herself, but Tom had been very persuasive by explaining to her exactly what they would do to him.

Tom walked up behind her, his hand coming to a stop just short of her lower back. His own sick smile on his face as he watched Avery take a chunk out of the boy's skin with a slicing hex.

"My death eaters will kill him for what he thought he could do to you," Tom growled, his hold on Evelyn tightening.

Evelyn leaned back against him as her smile deepened, "I hope they aren't cruel. Wouldn't it be awful if he didn't remember why he is getting punished?"

Tom liked the look on her face. The conniving little witch he had seen briefly the year before. He hoped he would see this new side of her more this year. He liked how she glowed when she knew she was getting away with something.