twelve

patrick seethed with rage, almost foaming at the mouth. the rest of the day he felt on edge, using his class time to plot and scheme. he wasn't sure what he was scheming. was it revenge? was it control? did he want her? or did he want to kill her? the only thing he knew was that he wanted to hurt her - badly. it didn't take long for word to spread through the school that he had targeted the girl that morning, which earned questions from his friends he had no interest in answering.

"i don't know what your angle is, but for your sake i hope it gets you into her panties" henry had jested after that morning's exchange. patrick exhaled smoke out of his nose in vague amusement. the thought of getting above her in all senses excited patrick, though he was more comfortable with the concept of killing her than he was with fucking her. he refused to admit that it was something he wanted, especially if it resulted in her knowing this desire. he couldn't underestimate her abilities - she was incredibly perceptive and this made his situation much harder. he avoided evangeline for the rest of the day, in case his hormones took over and he was unable to avoid another situation similar to that morning. instead, he spent his precious mid-english class desk carving time curating a note on a crumpled piece of paper he found underneath his desk. after much thought and deliberation, it read the following:

i'll catch you in the act. in the late hours of the night you'll see my face and scream - begging me to keep your secret.

patrick smugly folded up the note before henry could read it, proud of his work, so sure it sounded poetic, vague and threatening enough to both entice and scare the girl. english writing class was not his forte.
he left class early and slipped this note under the girl's locker door, his stomach bubbled as his long legs quickly carried him away from the scene to "further shroud the note in mystery."

evangeline approached her locker 20 minutes later in a conversation about a history assignment she couldn't care less about. her legs sped her in front of her friend, enough to safely shield a violent eye roll. just like planned, the note fell to her feet and without question, evangeline opened it.

i'll catch you in the act. in the late hours of the night you'll see my face and scream - begging me to keep your secret.

"what's that jelly? a love note?" cissy jested. evangeline quickly closed the note, turning around in mock giddiness and biting her lip as she spoke.
"you're terrible!" she jested to her friend, lightly bumping her with her shoulder.
"no, it's just the name of a book i wrote down. mr. wilson suggested it so i'm going to pick it up from the library. i'm not that desirable cissy..." she trailed off. obviously she couldn't tell her friend what it said, and especially not who it was from. plus, if she had said it was a love note, she'd then have to go through the gruelling conversations about the measly selection of boys the school had.

evangeline's walk home consisted of tuning out the squeaks of her brother and his pre-pubescent friends  and pondering what the note meant. the obvious and poor attempt at being mysterious amused her greatly, though it was badly written enough to still keep her wondering at what he had truly implied. was he still under the belief that evangeline could feel fear, pain and remorse? that her dreams would consist of anything other than her indulgent, violent fantasies? had he peered inside her head and seen them? jelly shook her head and silently chuckled at the delusional thought. what if he meant it literally? would he show up at her window? this wasn't the worst thing, though she slightly shivered at the thought of him catching her in her one vulnerable state - sleep. she could easily wake and retrieve her knife, though she would prefer if he didn't see her asleep at all. even a small moment of weakness was viewed as building blocks for a catastrophe in her eyes. she regretted pondering this scenario, as after a gruellingly long dinner and a long, scalding, silent shower, she found her eyelids unable to close - keenly focussed on her large window. would he appear? did he even have the wits to remember where she lived? she definitely didn't put it past him to get lost in the dark on his way to find her.
though he didn't come.

evangeline felt exhausted the next day after her sleepless night, though she hid this through her clever application of some concealer and powder from her mother's bathroom. she hardly saw him that day apart from the classes they shared, and she avoided his gaze as if it would kill her, too stubborn to give him anything until he was the one to break. evangeline would not break.

laying in bed the next evening, she found herself in the same predicament, sighing as she realised this was becoming a significant issue. he took up too much space in her head. her mind was a palace of torture and doom and carnal sin. not for a pimply, toothpick shaped sociopath from her english class. it made her feel sick to her stomach and made the bile rise to her throat as she realised the ultimatum he had put her in. if she slept - he might see her in her one vulnerable state. if she stayed awake, it meant he got inside her head. evangeline detested both of these options, though a decision had to be made. she grunted in annoyance as she slammed her eyes shut, her hand grasping the hilt of her knife as she decided she would get some sleep to be on her guard the following day.

she awoke early in excitement the next morning, her restful sleep and violent dreams bringing her a new lease - a fresh craving to bring mayhem upon patrick. she slit a small cut in her finger and rose from her bed, singing a church hymn and swaying her hips as she sucked her wound all the way to the bathroom. she donned her shortest dress and a pink band aid on her finger and quietly hummed through the rest of her morning routine, taking extra care to tell her mother and brother all about her restful slumber and the wonderful, magical dream of sunflower fields she experienced. on her walk to school she toted a pink notebook and matching pen in her hands, writing draft notes to return to the boy. she settled on something simple. she tore the paper, folded it up and sealed it with the blood from her finger, now brown and thick. her friends met her at the gate and she greeted each one with a kiss on the cheek like usual before excusing herself to the ladies room. she skipped up the steps and into the halls which were almost completely empty and would remain that way until the first bell rang. on her way to the bathroom, she glided her fingertips along each locker and landed at patrick's. she slipped the note under the door, just like she knew he had done with his note, and continued her journey to the bathroom for some pre-class journalling.

the bowers gang were fashionably late, as usual. they all stomped towards their respective classrooms, patrick making sure to stop by his locker and collect his prized green ruler and pencil case for the day. and just like clockwork, the note fell to his feet. his long body folded in half as he picked it up. his fingers brushed against the crisp, pale pink paper. he noticed the copper-coloured smudge along the front and stuck his tongue to it to confirm his suspicions - blood. his nostrils flared as he opened the note. his eyes darted along the page and his jaw clenched as he read his highly anticipated reply.

not if i catch you first.

✄ ✄ ✄✄ ✄ ✄✄ ✄ ✄✄ ✄ ✄✄ ✄ ✄✄ ✄ ✄

a/n: WOW HOLY MOLY i am so SORRY that this took so long, ive nearly finished my study FOREVER so i will truly have more time to keep writing soon! thank you so much for 7k! please keep it up and comment your thoughts, i LOVE to hear from you all! also if you have any good patrick fics or any kind of content to further inspire me - PLEASE recommend below, i wanna continue to write this with the excitement and passion i started it with!

also, this chapter may seem like a bit of a filler but the next chapter will be uploaded shortly and will show you where these love notes are headed 😈