A Winter Fire

OLIVER

I don't think two people have ever snowshoed so fast. Watching Charlotte trek ahead of me, in her white snowsuit, is adorable. Adorably sexy.

It's hard not to grin when I watch her. Jesus, she wants me. She kissed me. It's also difficult not to think about how damned nervous I am. In a few minutes, we'll be back at the cabin and...

And then what?

This is my one chance. Don't fuck this up, Menendez, my brother would say.

I'm not experienced sexually. Definitely not as experienced as she is. Which is okay, because I'm not one of those guys who thinks women must be pure, pristine virgins. It actually turns me on to think about Charlotte taking charge.

But I also don't want to disappoint. All my life I've exceeded people's expectations. My parents, my professors. I want to exceed Charlotte's expectations of me in bed. Which could be difficult, since I'm a virgin.

We're at the cabin now, and we stop near the front door. She's out of breath. Her normally pale cheeks are flushed pink.

"Hang on, I'll get those for you." Shucking off my poles and gloves, I bend down and unstrap her boots from the snowshoes. As I'm undoing the last strap, she rests a mittened hand on my head. I look up and practically stop breathing. The snow sparkles in her hair. Jesus, she's so beautiful it hurts.

As I'm untying my boots, she leans her snowshoes and our poles against the side of the house. I follow, and then I'm seized by a crazy, giddy feeling.

Without saying a word, I pick her up, hoisting her in the air by the legs. She yelps and wraps her arms around my neck. I take the few steps to the door, press the key code, then carry her inside.

The door shuts behind us, and I let her down. She slides down my body, slow and close.

She pulls off that silly, cute pink hat and throws it to the floor. And that's when I kiss her. Claim her. I've never been this forceful when kissing a woman. I press her into the door and take her with every ounce of lust that's in my body.

She breaks away, panting. "You're such a good kisser," she murmurs. "You know I've never forgotten that first kiss."

"Me neither," I say, picking her up and carrying her into the living room.

CHARLOTTE

"The fire," I say between kisses, pointing. "I was fantasizing about us by the fire, on that rug down there."

Oliver holds my face in his hands and looks at me with big eyes. "You were? Fantasizing about us? When?"

"Last night. I was hoping you'd kiss me during the movie. After the movie."

He rolls his eyes. "God, I'm such a loser. I wanted to, so bad. But I wasn't sure if I should. And I was sore and exhausted and then I fell asleep." He presses a soft kiss to my mouth. "I'm sorry. Oh, wait. Fire."