Chapter Fourteen

"I can't believe I finally got a date with the newly famous Skylar Hembrig."

"Oh, shut up, Hannah."

Hannah had come home for the weekend from Kent State, and she didn't have to ask twice to get her best friend to come out for a coffee and brunch date at their favorite spot, Kevin's Cafe.

"What? It's so true, you replaced me for Tom and your new popular friends." Hannah feigned worry. She placed the back of her hand against her face as if blocking Skylar from seeing her tears.

"If you stop fake crying you can come dress shopping with me for homecoming tonight." Skylar teased.

Hannah, better in seconds, sprang up excitedly. "Oh, my God. You haven't gotten your dress yet?! Tom asked you like two weeks ago!"

"Okay, the whole town doesn't need to know." Skylar giggled. "And, no, I've been a little preoccupied." She said, debating whether she wanted to open up to her lifelong best friend or not. What would she think? Surely the same as nearly everyone else.

"I know, those senior boys can be super charming." Hannah laughed, an airy sound that flowed through the restaurant. Skylar had missed the comfort of her best friend more than she could even admit. "So, tell me all about him."

"Well, for starters, he's cute as hell." Skylar grinned, thinking of the hazel-eyed senior. "He's also smart - like, he wants to be a teacher. How cute is that?" She blushed thinking about his hidden nerdy side.

"Okay, okay. I guess not all high school boys are skeezy. But, is he pushy at all? I know you talked about that over summer." Hannah pried.

"Okay, so I may have fibbed a little." Skylar scrunched up her nose in embarrassment. "He wasn't pushy at all, I just wasn't ready I guess."

"Sky, you could've totally bugged his reputation!" Hannah exclaimed.

"Okay, okay! I don't need the entirety of Kevin's knowing about it." She groaned, throwing her hand in front of Hannah's mouth quickly to quiet her down. "I feel really bad about it, but he and I talked and things are going pretty well so far."

"That's so cute, Sky." Hannah gushed. "So, I have to tell you all about my date."

*

"You cannot wear black to homecoming, oh my god."

Skylar stood in front of the mirror looking at herself in a black knee-length halter dress. It was simple with a classic-fitted bodice, nothing too crazy.

"What do you mean?" Skylar asked.

"Oh, my god. Ten Things I Hate About You?" Hannah guffawed. When Skylar gave her a questioning look, she ran her hands over her face in dismay. "You can't truly be that naive, Sky."

"I guess I am. What's wrong with the color black?"

"It's like having a pair of black panties."

Skylar's eyes widened as it dawned on her. "I'm not a slut!"

"You only wear black for one reason." Hannah giggled. "I mean, unless you don't want to sleep with Tom."

"No, I mean-." Skylar started, fumbling over her words.

"You mean you do?" Hannah gasped. "I can't believe you're growing up." She giggled.

"Hannah, that isn't what I said." Skylar said, with more annoyance dripping from her tongue than intended. She mentally cursed herself for sounding so bothered, she didn't need any questions on a subject that would get her cast out.