"It's just a word," Ayla's head shook in amusement. "You'll know what it means when I want you to know what it means."

Torr's words tasted bitter coming from her mouth. His eyes darkened though his smile grew wickedly.

"Do ya think it's wise to be teasin' me right now? In the middle of my village? In the middle of my people?"

"Where would you like me to tease you?" Ayla's cup was gone, and she clanked it on the table loudly. "Perhaps in your woods? North a bit?"

"Pea snap ya're in dangerous territory," Torr warned, the competitive bone in his body twitched.

"I know," she whispered back, leaning in. "But you won't let me leave."

Torr stood from the table, rocking it with his hips clumsily. Ayla stood just as quickly, pressing her chest forward. Torr's chin jutted out, trying to mask the smile that tickled his lips.

"Ya best run, pea snap. Ya've prodded the beast now," Torr warned, following a stumbling Ayla out of the canteen. Her feet moved slowly though she felt as if she were running. Torr wasn't much quicker.

"Hardly a beast, prāg, more like a cub."

A deep chuckled erupted from Torr's belly as he reached for Ayla's arm. She jerked away and turned herself outright and began running through the town. There weren't many out walking, though the ones who were regarded her with amusement.

Torr could've caught Ayla within seconds if he truly wanted to, which he didn't. It was much more endearing to watch Ayla run ahead of him, turning her head to glance at him and giggle. She was running in circles, weaving around buildings and houses she didn't know anything of.

"Narrae," he called loudly, laughing between breaths.

She wildly turned a corner, dancing on her feet to turn and face Torr and stick her tongue out. He reached for her and grabbed her arm, halting her before she nearly ran herself into the fire. A few women and men sat around it talking and drinking, enjoying its warmth. They were perturbed by Ayla's presence.

Ayla laughed, covering her mouth as she realized her mistake. It hardly bothered her now to have the people staring.

"Sit, Ayla," Torr smiled though sternly pushed her down on a stump. He kept his hand on her shoulder, looking onto his village. They didn't dare speak a word of their prejudiced thoughts.

Someone offered Ayla a drink which Torr grabbed from her and sipped casually. Ayla just enjoyed the warmth and the chatter around her. Usually when she entered a space, it became silent.

"What's yer name, dear?" A man asked. He sat a few feet away from her with a woman on his lap.

"Ayla," she spoke instantly, blinking her eyes as they became heavy.

"Aye, Ayla," the man smiled warmly. "I'm Ragnar, this is Sanna. Ya just visiting or are ya stayin' a while?"

Ayla shrugged her shoulders, leaning into the warmth of the fire. Torr pushed her back gently.

"Awh, she's chilled, Torr," Sanna called, pointing her arm towards the girl. "Give the girl yer furs."

"I haven't got any furs on me, Sanna."

"Well then at least give 'er yer arm," she glared. Ayla felt uncomfortable with the woman ordering Torr around on her behalf.

"Sanna," Torr snapped. The woman rolled her eyes and settled into Ragnar, stroking the side of his face.

"When she freezes, ya'll wish ya listened to me," she muttered.

Torr sighed and dropped down to the stump Ayla was sitting on, sliding himself behind her body. His legs framed hers and her draped his arm around her waist, tugging her back into his chest.