"It's nothing."

That must've been the straw that broke the camel's back because Nate finally set his pencil down with a sour expression.

"You always say that recently."

"No, I don't."

I tried to brush him off knowing full well that he was right. It's easier to be vague and distant than to try to make up a lie to explain my emotions. He stared at me for a beat, running his fingers through his hair.

"I'm just saying I tell you everything and it seems like you close yourself off from me-well everyone, to be honest."

He trailed off with his hands gesturing out in front of him trying to express his feelings. The guilt that was growing like a tumor in my stomach, felt like a lead weight weighing me down. But I tried to push past the burning feeling.

"Really Nate it's nothing, you're just reading into things."

He stood up as his frown deepened into a scowl, crossing around the side of the table to lean next to me.

"I may be shy but I'm not stupid y/n."

I could feel my willpower starting to crumble, I gripped the fabric of my jeans under the desk. He took note of this and his pinched face broke slightly.

"D-Do you, not trust me?"

I looked away and rubbed my temples anxiously.

"No- god no it's not- well not completely- no Nate it's not you."

I blubbered, trying to think of an explanation. Looking around the room for an escape like a fish out of water.

"I'll just get in a lot of trouble if I tell you."

"If someone is hurting you then you need to tell someone."

His demeanor changed completely into one of concern.

"No, it's not that I'm fine really, it's just-"

"Are you being threatened, do we need the police involved?"

"No Nate, I know how you get when you are concerned but-"

"Does Poppy know-"

"STOP!"

My body shook with nerves as my frustration bubbled over, Nathaniel looked at me. Taken aback by my outburst. I had never yelled, much less raised my voice at him.

"I'm sorry...I should go."

I started to frantically collect my things when his hand grabbed my arm lightly, stopping my pursuit. My gaze followed it up to his face where a pleading look lay.

"I'm sorry- I shouldn't have pushed, it's just that I worry about you. You have no one to support you besides your friends and you constantly hide things from them to spare their feelings. I-I just want you to...I don't know-"

His scowl deepened.

"Feel safe with me like I do you, you're my best friend and I want to support you like you support me."

I took a deep breath and forced myself to relax my body tension a bit. Taking my arm back I put my hands on his shoulders looking up at him seriously.

"Okay. But what I'm about to tell you can never be told to anyone, not your parents, not even Marc."

He nodded, putting his hands over mine only a bit awkwardly. I took a deep breath.

"I'm Echo."

"Your Echo? Like the BlueMoon member?"