I may or may not have accidentally blown up my school mascot statue.

By Anna Lacey

I walked across the front lawn of Birchtrude Middle School. I listened to the chatter of students as they walked past, girls giggling at their crushes, boys ignoring them, all of them with airpods. Why those were so popular, I had no idea, and still don't.

I took a deep breath, my lungs filling with the air of spring. The sharp scent of freshly mown grass reached my nose, and I took a breath of relief. Lunch time! I thought. No more reproductive systems for a whole 30 minutes!

I walked over to the statue of Birchtrude the Bee statue. Our mascot was the stupidest thing I could think of. A bee. An annoying little creature that pollinates flowers and stings you if you attack. But I guess that did sound like the people going to my school, minus the flower part. I sat down on the edging of the statue, took out an assignment, and started on it.

My playlist played through my headphones. I hummed along to Gold by Britt Nicole. It was my favorite song. I absolutely love to sing. My friends get annoyed when I do it too much, which is all the time.

My name is Sarah Moughn. I was born in Las Angeles, California. I have five siblings, two older and two younger. The ages are 18, 15, 5, and 3. I also have two loving parents who I can't live without. I also have an adorable beagle named Shiloh. I love them all, though they are simply aggravating at certain times! (Yes, I also have a large vocabulary, which my 15 year old brother makes fun of.) I am thirteen years old, and the middle child. I have moved three times in my life. Once from Las Angeles to Caldwell, Idaho, then from there to Boise. I absolutely love it here, in the big city. Well, as big as this part of Idaho gets.

"Hey Sarah!" I heard one of my best friends yell. I turned around and saw her running towards me.

"Hi Jaquellen," I called. Jaquellen was by far my best friend here at Birchtrude. She was so nice to me after I moved here. She told me she had moved too, and since our first meeting, we were, as the "cool" kids say, "besties".

She ran over from the front of the school, with long, graceful strides, her blond ponytail bouncing. Jaquellen was an athlete. She was on the middle school track team, ran in lots of races, and played more sports than I could count. She bounded over a hundred yards in record time without even breaking a sweat. I smiled as she came over. She glared at me.

"Where the heck were you at lunch just now?" she asked. She tapped her foot, arms crossed, an accusing look on her face. "I had to sit with Katherine and put up with her whining the whole time I was trying to finish my enchilada!"

I smiled sheepishly and twisted my waist length brown hair around my finger. "Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I had to talk to Mrs. Andle about my science assignment. I was having a hard time understanding the reproductive system of a bat. By the time I was done, all of the seats in the cafeteria were taken. And you were on the other side of the room. So I just decided to eat out here. I just finished."

"Not going to even ask why you are learning that in your class," she said. "And I'm still not sold on that explanation."I was in the gifted and talented program. Even though I was in 8th grade, my brain worked at a 10th grade level. So I had to have private study time with my teachers, as well as take the 8th grade course. It wasn't too hard, but it made for a LOT of homework.

"Yeah, not sure why she wants me to learn it either," I admitted. "But let's just hope it will be the last assignment about that. It is sooooo boring and gross. We have to talk about-"

"And... that is where I draw the line." She grinned at me. "So how about we talk about something else, like..." Jaquellen looked around for something exciting to talk about. She slowly turned her head until she spotted who she was looking for. "Let's talk about Aidan!"

I shook my head as I glanced at the boy with brown hair and green eyes. He was surrounded by his group of friends, all of them watching a video on his phone and laughing at nothing. "You are such a boy obsessor! And besides, Aidan is gross." He always had been the one to mash up food and eat it and stuff like that.

"Well, who would you rather talk about?" She smiled, an eyebrow raised.

"No one," I answered. "All boys are gross, mean, and annoying!"

"You sound like a 2nd grader," she accused.

"I don't care! I personally think that 8th grade is still too young to have serious crushes,"I explained. Sometimes Jaquellen was exhausting. She stared at me.

After a minute, she said, "What about Kort?"My heart fluttered.

"What about him?" I answered. She raised her eyebrows.

"That," she said. "You always get a huge smile on your face whenever we talk about him. I know you have a giant crush on him. It isn't exactly a secret."My smiled dropped.

"I do NOT have a crush on him!" I yelled. A few people glanced over at me. " I do not have a crush on him," I whispered. "He is just really nice to me. And has sandy hair. And bright blue eyes. And a great personality. And that smile of his that makes me happy whenever I see it. And... What was I talking about again?"

She grinned. "How you totally don't have a crush on Kort?" My face turned red.

"Oh, yeah. So back to that. He is a nice kid and a good friend but nothing else. Period."

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, love doctor."

It was my turn to glare at her. "Honestly, we're just friends. Nothing else. And he's probably only nice because the principal asked him to. I know Mr. Roy does that when a new kid moves in."

"Oh please," she said. "You love him, he loves you, and there is no denying it!" She raised her voice. "Kort and Sarah sittin' in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love then comes marriage, then comes baby in a baby carriage!"

By then everyone was looking at us. My face burned red with embarrassment. Jaquellen just smiled wider than ever and started to repeat the song. A few people laughed. Some looked at Jaquellen with smiles. But then Kort turned around. His face turned even redder than mine as he glanced over at me. I tried to hide behind my binder."Stop it Jaquellen," I whisper-growled. She either didn't hear me or she was just plain annoying. "I said stop it," I repeated. She just smiled and kept on chanting. I glared at her, my anger bubbling up. At first I thought I was just angry, but then I realized that it was hot. Actually hot. I got a rush of heat in my stomach, and something in me snapped. I hopped off of the statue and went right up to her. "I SAID STOP!"She stopped. Her eyes widened. "Uh, Sarah?" Jaquellen said, a look of terror on her face. "What are you doing?" She looked behind me. I glanced back just quick enough to see cracks forming in the Birchtrude Bee statue. And then it exploded. Bits of stone and shrapnel flew into the air, raining down on the students. Everyone was screaming, and teachers were yelling and rushed over to help the students. It was chaos. I covered my face with my hands. Everything was happening so quickly. And then as suddenly as it had started, it got quiet.

I uncovered my head slowly and looked around. The statue was pulverized, and the lawn was covered in metal and stone. You could barely make out where it said In Remembrance of Eliza Birchtrude at the base of the statue. I turned back around slowly, my eyes skimming over all of the disasters that had been caused. My eyes fell on all of the students that had gathered. Everyone was staring at me like I was from another world.

Just then Principal Roy came marching out. His eyes widened as he took in the scene: the huddle of terrified students, the pulverized statue. He followed the gaze of all of the students to where I was standing."What is the meaning of this?" he demanded.

A girl named Ashley that I knew from
history raised a shaky finger at me. "It was her. She destroyed the statue."

Hey!!! This is the first story I have published on Wattpad! Thank you to my two followers ( Alexia and Emily) and my friends who have given feedback on this book. Enjoy destiny!!!😁