***

I decide I need something normal in my life so I actually go to school. I just didn’t attend any classes. I walk to the back of the school where the druggies and smokers usually hung out and sat myself down next to Jeremy.

“You doing okay?”

“No.” He shakes his head.

I sigh and just stay quiet. There isn’t much else I can say. Tyler joins us shortly and sits on the other side of Jeremy, offering him his cigarette.

“No thanks,” Jeremy declines.

“What’s your problem?” asks Tyler.

“I just don’t want any.”

“Tyler, leave him alone,” I say.

“Okay,” he shrugs.

It is silent for a while before Tyler says something again.

“They say she OD-ed.”

“That’s what I don’t get, she was doing okay,” says Jeremy.

“Apparently not,” I mumble.

“How did she end up buried in the woods? That’s what I don’t understand.”

“Probably by whoever was with her when she OD’ed.”

“But you would just leave her there and not take the time to bury her.”

“Maybe she saw something,” Tyler shakes his head. “Man, I don’t know. I just don’t know. So are you guys going to attend the Founders’ Day Kick Off party?”

“I have no interest in the Founders’ Day Kick Off party,” Jeremy says.

I shrug. “Sounds interesting, am I invited to this since I’m not part of the founding families?”

“Yeah, it’s an open event to everyone in town,” Tyler says. “My mom and dad are making me go.”

“Well I might show up,” I smile.

A party seemed like a good idea, to get everyone back in good spirit. But parties were usually where everything goes wrong in my life.

***

“How are you doing?” I ask Stefan.

It had been a while since I last really spoke to him. He kept his distance from everyone ever since the incident at Pearl’s house. Elena had informed us that she let Stefan feed on her to get his strength back. Damon and I were instantly wary and worried; we knew how Stefan could get when he consumed human blood.

We were all hanging out at Elena’s house and talking about nonsense.

“I’m fine, getting better,” Stefan reassures me. “It’s only been three days.”

“Hey Aly, when you and Jeremy were writing that extra credit paper for Alaric, did Jeremy tell you what he was writing about?” Elena asks.

I think for a moment before something dawns on me. “I think he was writing about vampires.”

“Right.”

Elena tosses some papers at me which turns out to be Jeremy’s essay.

“Mr. Saltzman made a copy of it. Should I be concerned that Jeremy knows something?”

I scan through the papers quickly.

“I doubt it. This paper states very clearly that he doesn’t believe in them.”