"Although pop-music will always be my main genre, I wanted to dabble in other genres too. This time, it was a mix between a ballad and electric pop. One reason for deciding to release it separately has to do with the fact that it doesn't fit with the rest of the album."

"So the album is already in an advanced stage?"

"Yes, I can't reveal much, but I can tell you that we have finished the selection process."

For a moment, I wondered whether my recommendations had been used to pick the songs for his new album.

"May I inquire as to what feeling caused such a pretty song?"

Fuuto fell silent, his fake smile faltering for a moment.

"Sure," he acquiesced before the atmosphere could become awkward. He seemed unwilling to elaborate, so the hostess propped her elbows on the desk to lean in Fuuto's direction with a conspiratorial smile.

"Well?" she urged, trying to lighten the mood.

Seemingly having regained his composure, Fuuto gave her a brilliant smirk that was frighteningly real. He didn't look nice anymore, but more like the person who I had come to know.

"I love you," I whispered at the screen, relishing in the feeling of those words. "I wish you knew how much I love you. If only you could reciprocate my feelings."

"It's a feeling someone gave me," he drawled, fully aware of how many details he omitted, and intent on evading the question until the end. "It's a little secret, so you'll have to guess," he continued with a blink. "All my fans are precious to me, so I don't want any of them to feel left out."

"It'll be difficult for our guests to envision what kind of feelings we're referring to if they haven't heard the song yet. Could you honour us with being the first ones to hear your newest single?"

When the audience applauded, the hostess lifted her hand in the air to calm the crowd.

"Are we the first ones to listen to this song?" she asked him, winking at the camera.

"No, as a matter of fact, I have spent one evening singing this song to someone," Fuuto confessed, smiling in a way that made my heart clench.

"Is he referring to you?" my dad asked from the doorway. "Lo and behold, my daughter is being mentioned on national television. What an auspicious day."

"I'm busy," I said absentmindedly, not wanting to miss a single second.

He laughed but complied with my request to leave me alone nevertheless.

"You're a piece of art, [Y/N]," he said.

The hostess appeared surprised, and the crowd shouted questions too. Meanwhile, Fuuto went up the small stage which the staff of the studio had prepared for him next to the hostess's desk unperturbed, a taunting smirk on his face.

I held my breath as he adjusted the microphone and waited until the lights switched off. All spotlights turned to Fuuto, bathing him in bright light. Dark shadows hid the rest of the studio.

Fuuto's gaze flicked to the camera, amusement visible in his eyes. He had never been so real on television before, and I didn't understand what had changed at all.

"You're a mermaid, luring me into the dark," he began, and I could hardly suppress a squeal. I had heard the song in real life, which was vastly different from listening to it on the television. Similarly, having the CD couldn't be compared to listening to Fuuto in real life. Still, being able to watch him as he sung made a similar excitement bubble in my chest.