"The Experiment," Katrina replied calmly. "Where else? I'm willing to bet that there are invisible cameras everywhere, reporting every one of our moves to scientists."

"You know, I thought the Experiment was going to be scientists sticking needles in our arms and stuff, not like this," Blythe commented, rebraiding her auburn hair.

"So, what do we do now?" Dean asked.

"I dunno. I guess we figure out how to survive. I mean, what else are we supposed to do?" Katrina replied.

Dean stood up, rubbing his back. He walked towards a rotting tree stump and climbed on top of it, waving his arms to get everyone's attention.

"My name is Dean Stanford and I'm fifteen. I'm a Deviant and my ability is telepathy. Now, I'm pretty sure that we're all Deviants, but I need to confirm it. Raise your hand if you're not a Deviant."

He paused. There was silence and nobody moved.

"Okay, then. That confirms it. Well, as many of you may have figured out, we're in the Experiment. And if the rumors are even somewhat true, then none of us will survive to see the outside world again."

Everyone murmured to themselves, unsettled. Dean raised one of his hands for silence.

"I don't know what the scientists want us to do and how they are experimenting on us, but I don't think that the Experiment is a normal experiment that takes a few hours or weeks. We need to think ahead. We could be here for months, years, even decades. Personally, I think that our first course of action should be identifying everyone and their ability. Then, we should split up into two groups: one will go over to that farm over there and see if they can produce any food, and the others will go explore. Does anyone disagree?"

Everyone nodded in consent.

"Great. Now, line up in front of me, please."

Katrina was shocked at Dean's natural leadership. Everyone was forming a line without argument. Katrina followed their example, lining up in front of Blythe.

One by one, each person told Dean their name, ability, and age. Some also performed a mini demonstration of their ability. Soon, it was Katrina turn.

"You already know my name and power," Katrina said. "And I'm fourteen years old.

"Any limitations to your ability?"

"I can't hold my illusions forever, especially if I'm creating the illusion of touch or sound," she offered.

"Anything else?" he asked.

"No, not really."

"Okay. Next," Dean ordered.

Katrina watched as he interrogated Blythe. As it turns out, Blythe could heal anything that doctors from the early 21st century could heal. All she had to do was place her hands on the person in question. Blythe was thirteen, the youngest person in the Experiment.

After getting all his information, Dean waved her past.

A few minutes later, Dean was done with everyone. Katrina walked up to him.

"You already know all of our abilities and limitations. Give us some information about yours," Katrina demanded.

"I agree," Blythe said, walking up to them.

Dean shrugged before complying. "I can send messages and read people's mind, but only what they are thinking at the moment. The sad thing is, they can tell when someone is in their head. I can also detect the activity of people's minds. Oh, and if someone thinks about silence and darkness when I'm in their head, then I can't read their mind. That's about it," he finished.