Chapter Seven: Real Pain

Start from the beginning

"Don't come out, do you understand me?!" She hisses, ignoring my question as tears spill from her own eyes. "No matter what, don't come out of this cupboard. Don't make a single noise, promise me!" Mother shakes my shoulders, her whispered voice cracking with a sob.

"I promise, Mother. I promise," I choke out, clinging to her as tightly as I can.

The sound of Father's wails and knocks continues to grow louder as the seconds pass. When Mother pulls away, I feel my blood run cold from the pained look she gives me. She places a firm, warm kiss to my forehead before reaching for the cupboard doors.

"I love you," she whispers, before shutting the doors of the cabinet, blocking me from what ever danger she's about to let in.

I pull my knees to my chest as my body begins to shake. Silent tears fall down my cheeks as I watch my mother let my Father in through a crack in the cupboard door. I place a small hand over my mouth in order to muffle the screams trying to escape it as I watch Father throw her harshly onto the ground.

It takes everything in my being not to jump out of this bloody cabinet and stop him, stop him from hurting her. I watch in terror as he delivers kicks and punches to Mother, each one resulting in a bloodcurdling scream. She shakily clutches her wand, trying to aim it at Father. But each time, right before she can mutter the words, her hand falls limply to her side.

Finally, after what feels like many horrific hours, he steps away from her nearly dead body. A wave of relief washes over me as he begins walking towards the front door. My heart begins beating with joy as I watch Father take his leave.

But the feeling soon vanishes.

Before he exits the room he pauses, turning around to face my mother once more. A wicked sneer plays at his lips as he slowly raises his wand up to her, pointing it directly at her chest. It seems as if time itself stops at this very moment. Everything seems so surreal. I watch in pure terror as my father, not once showing any sign of remorse, opens his mouth to speak those dreaded words.

"Avada Kedavra."

My heart shatters into a million pieces as I watch the bright light flow straight into my mother. I forget the promise I made to her as I shove the cabinet doors open, thrusting my body towards her now limp corpse.

"Mother!" I shout, shooting up from my sleep, panting heavily. I look around frantically, searching for the one who plagued my thoughts.

"(Y/n)? What's wrong? Are you alright?"

I quickly spin around to find Cedric sitting up next to me on the common room couch. His arm is draped around my waist, harsh worry plaguing his sleepy face. It's only then that I feel the hot tears rolling down my cheeks and the cold sweat clinging to my trembling body.

I shake my head vigorously as I fling myself onto him, clutching onto his loose shirt tightly. Dry sobs escape my throat as my heart beats sporadically inside of my chest. Cedric tightens his grip around me, his hand rubbing my back soothingly.

"Hey, it's okay. You're alright. It was just a dream," he whispers to me, placing a long kiss to the top of my head.

"No it wasn't," I sob out, "It was all real. All so real."

It's been so long since I've had a dream, or nightmare rather, of that horrid night. Why is it all coming back to me now? When I am actually fully enjoying my life for once? Is the universe trying to tell me something? Is something bad coming? No, what am I even saying, that's impossible. It's just my mind playing tricks on me, that's all.