2.23 | THE EXCHANGE

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry but... I can't." She shook her head, knowing that the moment the exhaustion lingering within her faded would be the same moment all of the painful emotions flooded back in.

A long drowning silence swam between them shortly after before Damon's features darkened. "Well then, it's a good thing I'm a lot stronger than you right now." His voice was low and dangerous as he spoke making Olivia's lips part and her brows furrow; unsure what he was intending to do. However, her eyes were quick to widen as he sunk his teeth into his wrist before pulling away and taking several steps towards her which she immediately reflected with several paces backwards before her back struck the wall and she internally cringed at the harsh impact.

"Damon, don't..." she expressed firmly but her words didn't even seem to reach the Salvatore who attempted to force his blood into her system. She immediately fought against him pushing away with what little energy she had left and struggling profusely. "No, Damon, stop." She grabbed his arm and tried pushing away his wrist from her lips. "Get off of me." She resorted bitterly, eventually managing to shove him away from her.

Damon stumbled backwards several paces before managing to regain himself. It took the abrupt shove, to pull him from his dangerously emotional state and make him realise what he'd actually done ⏤ or more accurately what he was about to do.

Looking back over at the blonde, he noticed her cringe, rubbing her wrists gently at the sharp pain inflicted through her bones by using so much energy to push him away from her. Seconds later she looked back at him, watching him cautiously and almost fearfully. He was instantly overcome with guilt and regret and sighed heavily as he noted what a stupid mistake he had made; another stupid mistake all because he was blinded by his overpowering feelings for the girl he lov ⏤

Damon's thoughts were quickly jogged back to reality when Olivia stumbled weakly several feet away from him. He appeared by her side in an instant, gently placing his hand on her arm but she flinched and staggered away from him.

The Salvatore sighed, a deeply pained look flashing over his irises. "I'm so sorry, Liv. I didn't mean to... I just lost control..." he drifted off sadly. "I just don't want to lose you."

Olivia sighed as she rubbed her aching forehead gently. "Do yourself a favour, Damon." She paused before looking back at him. "Just stop; stop trying to save me. It won't end well... for either of us." Her words were drenched with nothing but honesty and sincerity as they graced the air. Leaving Damon would spare him a lifetime of inevitable suffering and pain that went along with being with her; near her even.

Damon watched the girl silently for several more moments. He couldn't change her mind, he couldn't force her to alter her opinion... but still he couldn't let her go. It was at that moment he realised with full sincerity and complete certainty that the only future worth living was a future with her at the centre of it. "I'm not ready to say goodbye, Liv. We've only just started." He informed her softly. "So if you're doing this then I guess we'll have to do it together."

Olivia's eyes darted back to him at those words. "What? No," she instantly denied. "I'm not asking you to do that for me, Damon."

"I know." He nodded back simply.

She shook her head vehemently. "No, I... I can't let you..." Olivia's words ran dry when she properly processed her words. She would never let him desiccate himself; she would never let him go so easily. He was only trying to do the same.

"Do you understand now?" Damon asked, noticing the realising look cross her features.

The tribrid remained silent for a moment, walking away from him and moving to sit down by the edge of her bed. "I'm just so confused, Damon." She told him as he walked over to sit down close beside her. "It hurts. I know that but... I don't understand why."