Six Months

May 1998: In which Draco admits he'd been a douchbag

Molly had insisted that Harry and Hermione went straight to The Burrow after the Battle of Hogwarts and although he was part of the family, Harry believed he was intruding: the Weasleys were grieving for Fred. Additionally, Ron and Hermione had finally found solace in each other so he felt like a third wheel and Ginny was pursuing comfort and familiarity in a relationship with him, but, Merlin, he was too confused and lost to deal with her. He felt smothered by it all. Harry moved out after barely moving in. He couldn't stay. He sensed he didn't belong there. He went to Grimmauld Place, despite feeling overwhelmed by the memories of Sirius and Remus and the other deceased members of the Order of the Phoenix that haunted the gloomy house.

At the same time, the Ministry of Magic decided that they now owned Harry's life. That meant photoshoots, magazine and press interviews, guest appearances, and the like. All of which Harry hated. It was all too much and too soon. He complained bitterly to Kingsley Shacklebolt who nodded sympathetically and appointed Harry a Personal Assistant to control everything. His PA was a man named Brian Raghasty, he carried a clipboard. Harry hated him on sight but sighed and tried to persevere. The first thing Brian with his Clipboard did was organise a make-over: a haircut, having his eyebrows shaped (of all things), a new wardrobe, and getting his vision corrected at St Mungo's. Harry wasn't allowed much of a say; however, he did begrudgingly admit there was an improvement in his appearance.

Suddenly Harry's face was everywhere and Witch Weekly was declaring him 'most handsome man of 1998', this was despite, Harry thought, the irony that he couldn't sleep and the bags under his eyes required more and more concealer at each photoshoot. Then they awarded him 'best smile' despite Harry's best efforts to scowl in every single photo shot he had to attend. Apparently, that just made him look sultry and even more attractive because then they ran an article suggesting that he was named as the number one most named man in their survey of men whom witches (and wizards) across the world would like to marry. Harry just scowled more and Brian scolded him and worried that Harry would get wrinkles. Harry thought he probably needed leaving alone and time to recover. Harry's favourite article was for the Quibbler, Brian with a Clipboard didn't want him to do it but Harry insisted for Luna's sake. At least, in between the bonkers conspiracy theories, Luna and her father printed their concern about the 'Boy who lived Twice' and suggested that Harry should be left to heal after the war. Every week he stuffed another stash of PR photos into the collection that was accumulating under his sofa.

Mid-May brought Draco's trial. His mother and father had already been held to account in the previous week. Somehow, Lucius had managed to squirm his way out of the most serious charges, probably using a vast amount of money. They were both exiled to France, the Manor had been seized, as had the contents of Lucius's bank account. Later, Draco was heard to say he wasn't sure if he was happy or sad about it, though no one was quite sure if he meant never seeing the Manor again or his father's freedom.

After the war, Harry had taken to thinking about Draco again. A lot. Harry realised that when he had witnessed Dumbledore's death he'd only seen what was right in front of him at the time and that he was in too much shock to care about Draco state of mind. He was too oblivious to Draco's torment and fears as he dealt with what he, himself, faced: the loss of his mentor and the journey ahead without Dumbledore to guide him. And even at the Manor, events were happening so rapidly that Harry didn't really have a chance to fully take stock of the situation that Draco was in. He eventually stopped wondering why Draco never identified him to possibly win the war for Voldemort's side; the realisation had dawned that Draco was not who he thought he was. It was then that he knew for certain that Draco hadn't been his enemy for a long time and that the boy had been in over his head as much as Harry had been. He finally comprehended that they both played parts in the war that they hadn't been given a choice over.