Chapter 4

Constant updates. It's Nanowrimo, after all.

"Nothing's wrong." Nut said as he wiped his hands on his jeans. "Ochobot is completely fine, except for the fact that his gyroscope is a little out of calibration. I've fixed that, so don't worry."

Boboiboy elbowed Gopal in the ribs.

"What's a gyroscope?" Ying asked.

"It's a device that keeps a Powersphere balanced." Nut answered as Ochobot exited the room. "Commander, did you find anything on the survelliance?"

"It looks like Ochobot had a short-circuit." Commander Kokochi handed Nut a tablet. It shows Ochobot gesturing at a space behind the control panel, then had a seizure and fell to the ground. "It's a shame that the sound file was corrupted, otherwise we could've known what had happened."

"I believe it is safe to rule this as a small incident, then." Admiral Tarung said. "All of you, back to the training grounds. We have a lot to catch up, and we are already behind."

-=+=-

"The captive's brain activity has dropped to ambience." A skeleton-looking creature stationed before a hologram screen reported.

"Could she have died?" A younger-looking creature of the same race asked.

"The captive's heartbeat is normal, and she is still breathing." The creature reported immediately. He turned to look at the bulky creature sitting on a throne made of scrap metals and pipes in the middle of the room, overlooking a floor-to-ceiling glass cylinder.

"The girl must have given up on fighting." The bulky creature stood up and approached the glass cylinder. "The one woman known for her fighting capabilities. Now look at her, stripped of the skills she's proud of. What else would she have left?"

"Nothing, Lord Sanguine." The creature's white laboratory robes shuffled as he bowed.  

Sanguine peered into the glass cylinder. It is filled with a murky green liquid, but a slender figure of a woman could be seen within. Her chestnut brown hair flowed freely, some tangling themselves in all the pipes strapped to her body.

"Ten years we have held her; the most feared Admiral of TAPOPS." Sanguine spread his hands, bringing them high. His lips twisting into a crooked smile. "The people of TAPOPS have sent men countless times to rescue her. How many have succeeded, Maging?"

"None, Lord Sanguine." The creature by the screen bowed again. 

"What happened to those people, Mr. Maging?" The smaller creature asked quietly.

"We caught most of them, of course." Maging said proudly. "They are all used as test subjects. None of them survived, though, unfortunately."

"Ten years we have run this experiment, Maging." Sanguine turned to the creature suddenly. "We are running out of time. When are we going to succeed?"

"We have discussed about this, Lord Sanguine." Maging adjusted his glasses. He was not at all fazed, even though the other crews in the room are trembling with fear. "The sedative that we used on the admiral is very strong, and it is irreversible. The serum shuts down all senses, and none of our test subjects have been able to endure it."

"Are you implying that this experiment has been all for nothing?" Sanguine stormed towards Maging furiously. The creature's assistant had scampered away earlier, though Maging stood his ground.

"No, Lord Sanguine." Maging took off his glasses and cleaned them, unfazed by Sanguine's dangerously close presence. "Everything has a limit, you see. The serum might not be irreversible, but the effects wears off over time. According to data I have gathered, we would see the results we want in our next experiment."

Sanguine narrowed his eyes. "How should I trust you? I have had you in my crew for over ten years. You told me the same thing every single time. And each time it had failed miserably."

"We would never know unless we conduct the experiment."Maging returned his glasses atop his nose. "This experiment would be a success, and you have my word for it."

"What if it is not?" Sanguine asked as Maging walked past him and stood before the cylinder.

"You can do whatever you want with me." Maging said simply. "And you can finally appoint your little nephew as the lead scientist."

Sanguine rubbed his chin. "You'd better keep your word." He said.

"I will."

The duo stood side by side, watching their captive hovering in the cylinder. The rest of the crew came out of their hiding place slowly and return to their workstation, wary that Sanguine might throw a tantrum again.

"So, the little humani guard." Maging hummed. "Could I have him?"

"What do you want with a pesky humani?" Sanguine glanced at the mad scientist.

"He would be most suitable as our next test subject." Maging explained. "A humani's body is delicate. If he could endure the serum, it would be safe for us to take."

"As you wish." Sanguine grunted. He waved his hand, and several guards came forth.

"Don't hurt the humani, Lord Sanguine." Maging chuckled. "I told you that a humani's body is delicate, don't I? Just bring him to me. Without a scratch."