Part 10

A bead of sweat rolled straight down Cora's spine leaving a line of gross down her back. With the afternoon sunshine still at summer strength, she knew she was going to need a shower as soon as she got home. She hated being sweaty. Especially when her face sweated, as it was doing now behind her sunglasses. She swiped underneath them before she focused back on what Zoe was saying.

"...and then Theo's like, but Mr. Upston, if we make our own rubrics then aren't we just doing your job for you? I though Mr. Upston's head was going to explode right there. I'm still shocked that Theo got out of detention for that one. I was sure he'd be there for at least a week. Not like he won't get some soon enough. He never knows when to keep his mouth shut. Which is hilarious for us if shitty for him."

Cora chuckled. "Yeah, I've always wondered if he's actually capable of not saying stuff like that. Or if he is and what we see is him actually stopping himself from saying even more."

"Now that's a scary thought. Which is a pity, because if he weren't such an idiot and in trouble all the time I'd think he wouldn't be bad for you," Zoe replied, looking sideways at Cora.

She rolled her eyes. "I don't need you to set me up with anyone. I'm fine."

"Well see, since we were doing dick all in English, especially after Mr. Upston had to go outside to count to ten, I got thinking about it. And while most of the guys at school aren't up to my standards of who you should date, and I know I mentioned him before, but I really think he's the best bet for you. I'm actually surprised he wasn't the first one I thought of."

Cora said nothing, not willing to give her friend the satisfaction of having her ask for who it was. Not that it was going to actually stop Zoe. Her friend was the conversational equivalent of a steam roller when she had something she wanted to talk about.

"I was thinking that you should try dating Warren."

Cora choked but Zoe kept going. "I mean, he's nice, funny, cute, and he's got a decent head on his shoulders. He doesn't get high every minute of the day like half the other guys and he's not super straight edge either. I've never asked him but he strikes me as the same type as you, and maybe he shares one of your weird nerdy obsessions."

"Nope, not happening," Cora said as soon as Zoe paused for breath. "Not Warren."

Her friend frowned. "Why not? Wait, did you already ask him out and he say no? Is that why you were being weird when he helped us out with your locker?"

"No! I just...not him, alright?" she said. Cora wished she could explain to Zoe just how crazy Warren was, but since she still wasn't sure which of them was the one who'd lost their mind, she thought it'd be better to stay quiet. Just for now.

Zoe sighed dramatically but let the subject drop. They walked in silence for a minute as cars the cars rushing past slowly faded in number as they left the area around their school populated by small stores, fast food places, and the bowling alley. Heading towards the more residential area where they both lived, the houses soon replaced the stores and there were fewer lights and more trees.

As they waited for the crosswalk at the last traffic light intersection before their houses, Zoe nodded towards the moving truck ahead and to their left. "I've seen a whole bunch of people moving in lately. And houses have been up for sale all summer, like everyone decided to move at the same time."

"Well, it's better to move now than in winter I guess," Cora replied. "I mean, who wants to carry a couch in the snow?"

"Who wants to do it when it's a million degrees out?"

"Touché."

"You remember that little old lady with the white cat that lives two houses down from us? Well she's moved into a condo and I saw a moving truck there this morning when I left for school. Maybe there'll be a nice hot guy moving in and you can date him," Zoe said, grinning.

Cora rolled her eyes. "Seriously, I need to get you a game or a dog or something. Anything to give you something else to obsess over besides my love life, Jesus. Clearly I need to text Moira and get help on this since you're sure as hell not listening to me."

"I just want you to be happy," Zoe replied in a fake, tear-filled voice.

She had to laugh at that. "You're such a weirdo. You act like I'm not happy the way I am now."

"Well, it's not like I was unhappy before I started dating Moira but ever since then I've been having way more fun. And I think it would do you good to have the same. I legitimately do want you to be happy. That and it's fun to play matchmaker."

Cora shook her head at the grin Zoe was wearing. "I hate you so much sometimes."

"Most people who have known me as long as you have do. People are just jealous of my winning personality and sheer awesomeness."

"The only thing you're awesome at is being a freak."

"Says the girl who the last person they said was hot was a cartoon character!"

"So I should know," Cora replied, nose in air. That lasted only a minute before they both started laughing. Even after almost twelve years of being friends they both found each other hilarious, something Cora hoped never changed.