4.

They lay there for so long that the sweat on their slick body began to dry up yet neither of them made any move to rise first.

Sam was afraid to speak for the fear of shattering the little bubble they created and send him running back to  Judith— although she knew he was going to do that when he came back to his sense. Trevor was never hers to begin with.

He shifted so that his chin rested on the valley between her breasts and held her gaze with his. "Hey."

"Hey, yourself." She smiled at him. "That was so mind numbing, wasn't it?"

His response was a smile. His whole face lit up like the sky on the fourth of July, giving him a boyish look that fitted him to a tee. Sam's heart neared painfully in her chest at the thought of the man she'd only ever loved not being hers in the end.

But you have his child growing in you.

The thought made her smile. She'd always have a piece of him in her life after he was long gone. Perhaps it was time to go back home for a while until everything blew over and she lectured herself to start thinking of Trevor as a friend and nothing more.

Who would have thought that they would end up this way?

The Trevor and Sam who were inseparable when they were children was long gone to be replaced with strangers who didn't know how to act around each other. Life was so fucked up.

"Sammy," Trevor pushed away from her to sit up beside her. He pushed his fingers through his tangled hair with a sigh.

Although all she could see was his back, Sam knew that the enormity of what he did with her was dawning on him now. He'd betrayed Judith with her twice. He must be filled with so much regret and anger that he gave into her wiles. He must be disgusted with her about now.

No matter how much she loved him, Sam would always be the other woman who broke up two beautiful people because of her selfishness. Maybe she shouldn't tell him about his baby. What he didn't know wouldn't hurt him.

Judith would give birth to their first child anytime from now and dealing with her husband's infidelity was the very last thing the woman needed. The child also needed a stable home.

God, what was I thinking?

"Sammy, I have to tell you something."

She sat up, wrapped the sheets around herself body and walked over to stand by the window. She gazed out into the dark street below wishing she was anywhere but here. Heartbreak was no foreigner to her, so she squared her shoulders and faced him with a smile that was as phony as she felt.

"Trevor, I understand what you're about to say."

His brows jerked up in surprise. "You do?"

She nodded. "I shouldn't have insisted that we sleep with each other knowing how much you love Judith." He started to speak but she held up a hand to silence him. "It's fine. We'll always be friends, nothing would change that. I apologize for leaving without informing you, but I felt it was better at the time."

"Why?" His voice was low and raspy. "Why did you leave, Sammy,  why?"

She bit her lip as she shook her head. "It doesn't matter anymore."

Trevor got off the bed, jerked on his boxer shorts, then he faced her. "It matters to me. My best friend slash Friend with Benefits up and left town about the same time I announced my engagement to Judith, I think there's something wrong."

"It been seven years now, Trev. There's no point in crying over spilt milk."

A thunderous frown came over his face as he crossed his arms across his chest. "You forget that I know you, Sammy. You don't do things without reasons. Just spit it out so I can finally get it off my mind. I kept thinking about what went wrong after your parents who— mind you— loved me so much refused to tell me your whereabouts. No one knew where you'd gone, no one saw you leaving. Why, Samantha?"