1.

Laguna High School,
Laguna Beach,
South California, USA.

19, August 2009.

Sam couldn't stop staring at the piece of hot guy in white tuxedo standing few feet away from her, chatting with his girlfriend. The silver ball light casted a moon-like glow over him, making his dark hair shimmer.

Although his back was to her, Sam knew every feature of his face. She knew everything about him, from small things like his best food to his latest conquest. And she secretly harboured a crush-which he was not aware of-on him. Not that he'd ever see her that way.

He was, after all, her best friend.

As if sensing her gaze, Trevor McMahon turned around and their gaze met and held. Hot pleasure pulsed through her, making heat pool in her panties. Sam was grateful for the dull light, since it helped mask her blush.

She gave him a small smile then turned her back on him. Ever since he started dating Judith Evergreen- the beautiful cheerleader and math geek that made the school enter several math competitions and won each time- they barely had the time to hang out. Judith hated Sam and the feeling was mutual. They both had one thing in common.

They wanted Trevor.

If Judith had her way, Sam was sure she would be one with earth. She hated that Trevor spent anytime with Sam and was trying her possible best to separate them. It seemed as if she was succeeding so far, because Trevor had asked Judith to the senior high Prom without telling Sam.

Trevor shared everything, literally everything, with Sam. But he started keeping secrets from her the day he asked Judith to be his girlfriend.

Bodies pressed against bodies on the dance floor as couples moved together to the slow romantic music blaring from the speakers tucked into the four corners of the school gymnasium.

Feeling suddenly alone, Sam made her way out of their makeshift ballroom and only stopped when she was in the school parking lot. Despite the dull ache in her heart, she took a deep breath to welcome the fresh air.

Trevor would never see her as nothing other than his best friend. And she guessed it was her fault since she dressed like a boy just to be like him. The whole school knew they were inseparable and always teased them about being a couple when they started their junior class. It was a shock to everyone when he started dating Judith.

Sam ran her fingers through her chin length hair. She'd shorn the hair when she was younger because she wanted to blend in with her tomboy image. It later came to bite her in the ass now, since Trevor seemed to prefer women with long hair. Judith's brushed the top of her spine. And to think she'd worn it short because of him. . .

"Sammy?"

Sam didn't need to turn around to know that it was Trevor. "Hey." She replied, keeping her gaze away from him. Her pulse hammered as his cologne tickled her nostrils.

He came to stand beside her. "What's up?"

Sam shrugged in answer.

"We barely see each other anymore."

"You're busy with college applications, I get it."

Trevor sighed. "I miss you. I miss our time together."

Her heart skipped a beat. "Me too." She whispered, but he heard her anyway, because he grinned at her. "I have to go."

Trevor grabbed her arm before she could escape. "I thought your parents were out of town?"