Bebang(7) - The Defiance

MAX

''We have different backgrounds, different histories, and different choices. Accordingly, we have the right to make our different futures. We are granted the power to rule our own world.''

 Jess and Fifth are having a conversation with CIC Edwards, I hear words like ''regulations''', ''authority'' ,''consolidates'' ,'''ruffians'' , the latter enthralled my interest. My mother has always been reminding me in my childhood days that kids must not pry along with others conversations. Emancipation is the gift of the freed from juveniles, I am now granted the power to rule my own world.

 Ruffians, named by the Head of the Committee of the Consolidates, is known as the organization of conspirators. The frontrunner of this division is still unknown, this group is a united diversed world of the most powerful conspirators; scientists, philosophers, scholars, and powerful commanders from the Modus Institute. Other important informations about this division is still classified, the Modus Institute protects the investigation from other unreliable divisions. The Modus Institute is aware that Ruffians is just only one of the 5 forbidden divisions that the Institute has to look ahead of.

I pace in the access door of the Consolidates, Bernardina's  words are still echoing in my mind: ''Uutusan nila tayong pumatay, Max!'' 

''So you are still into her? How long have you been hurting at the same time loving her?'' Jack says, his hands are on the keyboard. He was one of the confidential reasearchers of my division, the Consolidates. At the time of the destruction of the Old Institute, when the intellects are killed by a hundred of renegades, or that it would destroy the whole Institute we hold on, the divisions, the scholars, our history. ''Do you still love her?''

''I intended to protect her,'' I say, turning when I reach the seat. ''Alex, was part of our confidential researchers,''

''Of course, Bernardina and Alex is in the Scholar's Division,'' Jack says, leaning his head against his chair. From this edge, the monogram of the Consolidates can be seen engraved by his neck. The monogram, a symbol of C inside a ring, Ciara, the apparition of my biological mother who was killed by a conspirator. Then he straightens, and the ghost of her is gone. ''Do you think the Scholar's Division is against with the Consolidates? That was the most funniest conspiracy theory I have ever heard, Max.''

''Oh, conspiracy— conspiring— everywhere. These awful times I do not know who to trust.'' Jess says, appears on the anterior of the access door. Either to reprimand Jack or to reassure me, I am fairly unsure.

''Conspiracy.'' The word is powerful inside me, like a spirit inflamed by a fire. I touch the silver miniature of the monogram, the pendant hangs above my chest. It was pure silver and gray.

 The conspiracy, it had resulted morbidity in our world: the warfare between the renegades and the intellects, the destruction of the Old Institute and the insurrection of the five forbidden divisions. The Consolidates is a signal that we need to strike out the root of all this chaos; we must eliminate the conspiracy and the conspirators.

''Maybe she's still angry. You lied to her, went behind her back and  made your own another division.'' Jack says.

I clenched my fists.

''Bernardina is a clever woman, she wouldn't be that hateful.'' Jess says, ''Something's probably, almost certainly ahead, that's keeping her. She had given her trust to you. Now you must return her a favor and give your trust to her.''

In the chaos, when the renegades are conspiring against the Intellects, and the revolt that has ruined the Old Institute. Bernardina and I are trapped in a mob of Oddities, I can hint her grip on the hem of my shirt, afraid that I will lose her. I took her wrists in my hand and pushed her away, ''Alex is in the car. Three houses from this block, the car is parked in front of a blue gate. Trust me. Go away in this place and be safe. Run!''