IV. unknown sender

Start from the beginning

"Oh, come on, Seraphina. You're already 19, don't you think you need to get yourself married by now?" questioned Aunt Veronica to her niece whose lazy emerald eyes are glued to her lap.

Seraphina grimaced at that statement. For goodness heavens, she is only ten-and-nine, not one-and-ninety.

At age ten-and-six, she already received a marriage proposal from a wealthy bachelor in London when her aunt invited her to sojourn for a while in London to experience the beauty and extravaganza of life.

However, that's where her aunt is mistaken for there is nothing beautiful about London. Well, if you consider the endless suffocating pollution then so be it.

Thank heavens Dorian once again decided to pay a visit to her in London. As usual, they'll go sneaking around the streets of London at night.

It was only after a few days on her first marriage proposal in which she quickly declined when she ascertained that that man was beaten up in one of London's pubs.

A year after that, another marriage proposal came to the ever mesmerizing Seraphina in which, for the second time around, without a second thought, she rejected. That man was then found almost dead in his own house, boiled in his bath.

With that, no other proposal came to Seraphina in London. Thankfully, the scandals in regards to what occurred in London thankfully failed to reach Bath and Avebury.

Seraphina almost jumped from her seat when she felt a gentle hand touch her lap, her aunt looking at her with such concerned stares.

"Child, I am getting old and I fear that you'll end up being an old hag and so do me a favor by attending this ball," pleaded her aunt, flashing her a smile which only made Seraphina frown.

She was about to open her plump lips and object when she heard the words, "If you insist on not attending this ball then I would prefer if you'll just marry my godson Zachary Canning. We all know he is a man of power, wealth, good looks, and besides, I've known that boy since he was an infant,"

If Seraphina is drinking right now, she is certain she would've spurted it towards her aunt who now has a massive smile planted on her face.

Seraphina quickly shook her head, panic enveloping her as she exclaimed, "Aunt Veronica, forget it. I'll go give the ball a shot,"

And with that, Aunt Veronica cannot help herself from snickering for she just won the argument.

Seraphina cannot help herself from scrunching her brows when her aunt began reciting such names she is not familiar with.

"Aunt Veronica, enlighten me who are all those gentlemen," Seraphina said, brushing whatever invisible dust on her black gown.

Aunt Veronica beamed at her confused niece before answering, "Your potential husbands, you silly child,"

In an instant, her eyes went wide and so, the rest of her aunt's sudden visit that day was filled with nothing but wealthy strangers' names.

After Aunt Veronica's visit, Seraphina went straight to her class upstairs, the lecturer discussing the Roman Empire in which Seraphina grew curious about.

It was after supper that she decided to leave the library downstairs and eat all alone in the dining area. Her nose was still stuck between the pages of the book.

After an hour or so, Seraphina let out a soft yawn, signaling that she is indeed tired. Seraphina carefully closed the book and tucked it between her arms as she made her way to her quarters.

To be frank, Seraphina due to what occurred last night cannot digest the idea of entering her room all alone knowing that someone is out there, eager to brutally murder someone.

Seraphina closed her eyes hard as she forced herself not to think of the poor headless dogs she saw last night. Letting out a soft sigh, she twisted the doorknob and stepped right into the room.

Gingerly placing the book to her desk, she began undressing to change for her sleepwear when she saw a piece of paper lying on top of her bed.

Hands still on her buttons, eager to get off the itchy gown, hair now untied, touching the top of her buttocks, Seraphina stroll towards her bed and there she sees an illustration.

She is certain who the artist is. She warily lifted the paper from her bed, letting her fingertips brush across the illustration of her sleeping form with no clothes on.

It was a beautiful sketch of the naked full body of Seraphina. Her eyes closed, both her hands swayed on the bed as if she's a butterfly, her hair unruly, some strands touching her nipples and her stomach, her plump lips slightly open, her legs touching each other and laid on one side.

Seraphina stared at the illustration in her hands, her heart racing and her cheeks turned crimson. How could he know every inch of her body? It was as if he saw it. Even explored it.

She looked across the room, wondering how Zachary could enter her room. She already blocked the window with her white dresser.

Seraphina almost dropped the illustration when she heard a knock on her door. Swifty, she hid the scandalous drawing under her bed as strolled across the door, forcing herself to act as if nothing happened.

When she opened the door ajar, there stood the Headmistress, catechizing her if everything's fine in which Seraphina quickly assured her that everything is indeed fine.

With the fear of being watched, Seraphina decided to not change her clothes for the night, draping her white nightgown on her chair when she noticed a bulk on its pocket.

When she finished her hands inside it and fished it out from the loose pocket, there lay on her palm a short yet sharp knife with the Latin words "Beg for mercy," inscribed in its black leather handle.

Comes with it is a piece of paper containing such worrisome words that say "Run while you still can", all written with blood instead of ink.

What made Seraphina antsier was how the handwriting is foreign to her.