~| Chapter 17 |~

"Can I have one?"

You were staring at the cinnamon rolls, drool beginning to roll down your lip. Wiping your mouth, you heard a chuckle as Beetlejuice removed his arms from around your waist.

"Of course you can, babes." He chuckled, grabbing the plate that had a roll on it and handed it to you with a fork.

Grabbing the plate, you placed a gentle kiss on his cheek and thanked him as you headed out of the kitchen. You went into the room across from the kitchen, sitting down at the glass dining room table.

As you took a bite of the cinnamon roll, your eyes widening as the piece melted in your mouth. The sweet flavors exploded in your mouth and it was nice and sticky as well. In no time, you finished the roll and wiped your mouth.

Standing up, you held the plate in your hands and headed back to the kitchen. You stopped in the hallway, feeling an unwanted and uncomfortable presence. You slowly turned to your left and you dropped your plate, watching as it shattered.

"Hey, Y/n." The man said as he put a hand on your shoulder and squeezed it tight, making you wince. "Let's make it work this time, okay?"

"D-Dad?" You squeaked, looking up at the man and tears beginning to fill your eyes. The heavy sent of alcohol hit you first, then seeing that he had torn clothes and bags under his eyes. Tears began to spill out of your eyes as you quickly shook his hand off of you and ran to the bathroom.

Slamming the door, you hunched over the toilet, vomiting as tears poured out of your eyes. Once nothing else would come up, you sat against the wall and hugged your legs to your chest, sobbing like no tomorrow.

"Babes?"

You screamed, your body jumping and, on instinct, you threw your hands up, bracing for impact. When you realized that it wasn't coming, you looked up, seeing Beetlejuice. With your breath hitching, you buried your head in your legs and sobbed. You then shuffled towards the corner of the bathroom, sniffling.

"Babes, hey, hey." Beetlejuice said in a hushed tone, floating over to you. He sat next to you, taking one of your hands and holding it in his cold hand. "It's alright. Please don't cry. If you want I'll scare him away."

"T-That won't work..." You sniffed as you lifted your head, intertwining your fingers with his pale ones. "H-He gets drunk a-all the time and goes completely haywire..."

A small sigh came from him as he wrapped an arm around your shoulders. He pulled you into a tight embrace, resting his chin on the top of your head. You just sobbed into his chest, feeling safe in his arms and in his embrace. Letting all of your emotions flow out, you rested your head on his shoulder and sighed.

"H-Hey, humbug?"

"What is it, baby girl?" He replied, gently stroking your hair, trying his best to calm you down. Then he pulled you into his lap, beginning to run his fingers through your hair.

Taking a breath, you wiped your tears and sat up, looking at him in his bright brown eyes. Then you leaned forwards, placing a gentle kiss on the tip of his nose with a weak smile. "You'll protect me, right?" You asked, looking at him with slight worry and concern in your expression.

He just rolled his eyes and chuckled as he maneuvered you in his arms so he was holding you bridal style. As he did so, he touched your noses together with a small smile. "Of course, babes. I will always be here to protect you."

You smiled as a soft blush grew on your face, closing your eyes and finally relaxing.

"Y/n, come out!" You heard your father shout as he banged on the door to the bathroom. Your body jumped the the sudden sound, but Beetlejuice still had you in his embrace. "Don't make me come in there."

Looking to Beetlejuice, you locked eyes with him before he pressed a gentle kiss to your forehead. This made you smile, forming a small blush across your cheeks. He released you from his embrace and helped you up, kissing your hand along the way. "I love you, babes."

"I love you, too." You said softly, jumping at the loud bang on the door. Turning to Beetlejuice frantically, you asked a question. "Can you read minds?"

He nodded.

"Do it on me."

You reached to open the door, and sighed as you were confronted with your father. He stared at you, then looked around the bathroom.

"Who were you talking to?" He asked, already glaring at you. If anything, the scariest part about him was his stare. His stare could send chills through anyone's body.

Say you were talking to Lyds on the phone.

Beetlejuice had interrupted your thoughts.

"I was talking to Lydia on the phone." You replied, looking up at him as you fidgeted with your hands. "She just left and I wanted to make sure she got home safe."

He raised a brow in suspicion, folding his arms as well. "What about the 'I love you'?" He asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Lydia and I are practically sisters, dad." You huffed, looking away from him.

He threw his hand onto your shoulder, and you felt fear rush through you. Looking up at him, your eyes widened as he spoke angrily.

"I don't want you going near that girl ever again, you hear me?"

You stared blankly for a moment before you began to laugh, tears beginning to stream from your eyes. "W-What?"

"I said," he began again, squeezing tight on your shoulder, making you wince. "Do not go near that dead beat of a child ever again." He then chuckled, pushing his thumb into a pressure point on your neck. "If I find out, let's just say you'll be punished."

Inhaling sharply, you looked up at him, beginning to sob. You couldn't control your emotions. You were angry at him, currently in pain, and sad because you couldn't go see Lydia anymore.

"Stop crying, you pussy."

That was it.

Shoving your father out of the way, you ran out of the house. You didn't know where you were going, but you just needed to go.

Just to get out of your head.

To get out of the house.

To get out of this life.