Chapter 21: Regretful Words

Start from the beginning

From the corner of my eye, I see Amiri lean against the hearth, seeming to enjoy the conflict between the brother and sister.

Crispin exhales and shakes his head. "I just expected more. You know that women of your stature are expected to wait until they are married off. It's what keeps lifelong ties with other kingdoms; making sure there are no discrepancies. When father hears about this—much less that you are with child—he will be outraged. No one will want to intermarry into the family, you might have cost us our future Rose. And you having spread your legs for a Rorik and become pregnant with his child...?" he asks, looking down at her belly in disgust.

The look on her face tells me she is on the verge of slapping him, but she refrains. Instead, her eyes tighten and she bites the inside of her bottom lip.

"And you say he is not a vile, evil man?" he continues, scoffing. "He runs an entire land of murderers, thieves, rapists, and slavers! You have no idea what we have suffered at the hands of his man to even get here, and now you sit there with a smug look telling us that not only will you refuse to return to your home, but that this man isn't evil?!" he asks, now yelling. "Look at our arms, Rose!" he says, sticking out his right arm and showing her the angry red brand. "Believe it or not this is nothing compared to what we have endured!"

I cringe, never seeing him like this before and look away, suddenly feeling as if my place is somewhere else. Perhaps it would have been better to give them privacy?

"If I may intercede," Santiago says in a soft voice, "Those men act on their own accord. If I do not allow them to continue with their old ways of live, not only would they overthrow me but they would expand to lands far past Paevian borders. I am the last thread that keeps them from living the lifestyles they truly wish to obtain. I do not agree with the sins they commit, but what am I to do?" he asks. "If I tell them they need to live a more admirable lifestyle they'd take my head, elect a new ruler, and do as they please anyways."

Crispin says nothing and mulls over Santiago's words.

To an extent, I can see this being true myself. Based off of the past encounters with Roriks, if they were to have a new king that would allow them to do as they please, who would stop them? Certainly the popularity of that life style would grow and the Rorik's numbers would expand much further than now. And as much as I hate to admit, Santiago has been nothing but a gentle man towards Rose since we entered the room. I really do not get the feeling that he is a cruel man when it comes down to it.

Rose looks up and leans forward, taking her brothers hand in her own. "I'm old enough to make my own decisions Crispin. I'm sorry but I cannot return back home. I know father will be disappointed with me, but he needs to understand. Will you help him?" she asks in a soft voice.

Crispin pulls his hand back and crosses his arms over his chest. "What you ask is impossible Rose. And I believe the word disappointed is an understatement," he says, glancing at me for the first time. "He sent the four of us to rescue you and bring you back. It's selfish of you to have wasted both our time and efforts. We've almost lost our lives on numerous occasions and now you just expect us to leave?" he asks, shaking his head.

Rose's blue eyes water and she frowns, "What would you have me do, Crispin? I cannot travel all the way back in this condition," she says, looking down briefly at her stomach, "And I do not wish to leave Santiago behind."

Sighing, Crispin runs a hand through his hair and sits his sword down across the table. "We were given five months to return you—two have already passed. I cannot wait around for you to give birth and I cannot bring Santiago back with us as it will result in his death," he says, standing up.

Removing his boot from the chair, he begins to pace to pace the room—sword still in hand—and I look uneasily at their faces, everyone on edge of what is to happen next.