SEVEN

"Knock knock," Lincoln's voice sounded in my ear.

I opened one eye just in time to see a puff of smoke as Lincoln's Voice Bumper disappeared into thin air. Voice Bumpers were funny like that. Every magical joke shop sold them.

They were no bigger than a quarter and enormously useful when trying to communicate without a telephone. You could record messages and send them up the side of a building. They'd fly in through an open window, find the right person, and deliver your message. Cops sometimes used them on stakeouts. They were virtually undetectable. They could record everything the bad guys said, play it back for you later, and were perfectly admissible in magical courts.

I looked around my bedroom. It was morning, and it was warm on Heavenly Haven, as usual. The sun was streaming brightly in through the windows. I looked at my phone and realized my alarm had never gone off.

"Beetle brains!" I muttered, already behind for my day. I dressed quickly and went downstairs. Lincoln was waiting for me on the doorstep.

"Thanks for waking me up," I said. "I almost overslept."

"Sure. When I saw your car in the driveway, I had a feeling you were up to no good in here."

I laughed. He leaned in and lightly kissed my lips. A morning kiss, not a date night kiss. I tingled warmly as he slipped his arm around my waist and held me close.

"Now that's a nice way to start the day," he said. "After that last text I got from you, I wasn't sure you'd want to see me."

"I've calmed down," I told him. "Plus," I took a deep breath, "I was hoping you might be able to give me some information."

I had no intention of telling Lincoln about the threatening note I'd received on my car the other day. He'd just worry. Lincoln released my waist and lifted one eyebrow as I started the coffee.

"Information?" he asked suspiciously.

"Yes." I poured some food into Sunny's bowl and looked around the room. "You haven't seen Sunny, have you?" It had been a full twenty-four hours since he'd disappeared out the window.

"No, why?"

I shrugged, not wanting to divulge that Sunny and I were officially partners now.

"Just wondering," I said, quickly changing the subject. "So what was the poison that turned up in Dr. Wallace's toxicology report?"

Lincoln's brow furrowed. "Why do you want to know?"

I looked at him, exasperated. Why did he have to make this so difficult?

"Why do you think? Because the information could help clear my mother and lead us to the real killer."

Lincoln bit his bottom lip, thinking. I hated that he looked so cute when I was trying to be irritated with him.

"Fluffernutter root," he finally said.

I gasped. "Fluffernutter root? That's rare! There's only one place in all of Heavenly Haven to get it."

"Yes, I know that, and I'm looking into it. I have my deputies at Whisper Crossing right now."

Whisper Crossing was what both Mistmoor Point and Sweetland Cove considered the border between our two halves of the island. The legend was that if you stood at the Crossing at the exact right time of day, you could hear Patrick Mistmoor and Sara Sweetland whispering sweet nothings to each other.

"Fluffernutter root is potent stuff," I told Lincoln. "Mom only uses a grain of it in her sleepy time cookies. Any more than that and it could knock a person out."