Chapter 20: Tainted Rose

Start from the beginning

Slipping on my leather breastplate, I accept the help Crispin offers to lace it up as I work on my bracers and try to ignore the feeling his fingers give me as they brush across my back. When he finishes, I watch Amiri give a few practice swings of his swords and listen as they slice through the air. He then gives us a nod sheaths them before tying his pouch of shurikens to his waist, giving it a satisfied pat.

"Before we go out, I'd like to say a few things if that's alright," Crispin says, looking at each of us. "I want to thank you all for agreeing to come on this journey my father sent us on—I couldn't fathom having to face the things we have with anyone else. I don't know about you, but I feel as if it's given us an unbreakable bond and I'm thankful for the friendships that this has given me," he says. "If for some reason we die tonight, I know we won't go down without a fight. If capture resorts to torture, I won't hold it against you if you tell them what you know."

Nodding my head, I look around and study the faces of those around me. Determination is all but radiating from their bodies, along with a mixture of confidence and adrenaline. There is something else in their eyes I can't place though, perhaps admiration for him?

"It's been one wild ride, my friend," Amiri says, holding out his hand. The two grip each other's forearms and fall into an embrace, clapping each other on the back.

As they do this, Laria pulls me into a hug as well. "See you when this is all over, Cora," she whispers before releasing me.

Amiri then turns to face me, and encloses my face between his two tanned hands, "Fight well, little thief. Remember what I taught you," he tells me. I nod and he pulls me in, squeezing me tightly.

It is then my turn to say any potential final goodbyes to Crispin as we use the last few moments of peace before we head out. He takes my hands and kisses the top of them gently before pulling me into a warm embrace and places another on the top of my head. I snake my arms around his firm torso and close my eyes, breathing in his scent wielding it to memory.

Words of farewell are not shared between us, so we only stand there silently for a few moments before he pulls away, brushing his soft lips against mine briefly.

"If we get split up, meet at the stables. If you can't wait, go to the last encampment we had if you can find it. Stay for a week tops and if the others do not arrive, just head to Paevia," Crispin orders. With a deep inhale, he gives a nod and we follow him outside.

From the height of the moon, I'd have to judge that it's early morning only a few hours from dawn. Mostly everyone should be dead asleep at this time, making our job somewhat easier. Gripping the hilt of my blade, I follow Crispin as he leads the way through the shadows of Rorik. We cling to buildings and try our best to stay out of sight, moving both quickly and silently.

As we draw closer to the keep, I can't help but notice a posse of guards that patrol the main doors.

"Do you think there is another entrance?" Laria asks in a low whisper.

"Doubtful. Another entrance adds just one more thing that needs to be kept guarded," Amiri says.

Laria nods, seeing sense in his words. "So what shall we do?" she asks, looking at Crispin.

"Well there is six of them and four of us. Amiri, you come from behind and take out as many as you can with your shurikens. We'll come from hem straight on and finish them off as quickly and quietly as we can. Shouldn't be too hard," he suggests.

With no other ideas forming, we settle on his and crouch down, slinking forward. Amiri banks right and I assume his plan is to come up from behind them, giving us the upper hand.