Chapter 4: Disaster Day

Chase had never gone out with a girl who wanted to move slowly and to be honest, it was going to be hard. All the other girls, he could predict. They wanted no love, they just wanted whatever he would give them (which wasn't much). 

Chase didn't know what to make of Lizzie: the first girl he'd dated who liked him, but didn't even want to kiss on the first date. At least, he figured she liked him at least a little, since she'd been the one to take his hand on their date under the tree. 

Chase studied Lizzie's face as she drove, a ghost of a smile resting on her heart-shaped lips. She looked happy, peaceful as she drove. She glanced at him and broke out in a full-on grin. 

"What?" She asked, a slight laugh bouncing her words. Chase shook his head, fixing his gaze on the road ahead. 

"Nothing," He murmured, just loud enough for her to hear. 

"I had a good time today," Lizzie said. It seemed like they just left the park, but here they were pulling up to Chase's house. 

"Me too," Chase grinned, unbuckling. She went to unbuckle her strap. "You don't have to walk me up to my door." 

"I know," She smiled, but unbuckled anyway and got out. Chase let a smile touch his lips, then got out of the car. 

"Thanks for teaching me how to cloud watch," Chase chuckled as they approached the door. Soon, they were at the door and stopped in front of it. 

"You're welcome," Lizzie smiled. She looked uncertain for a moment, looking at her toes. Then, she leaned up on her tiptoes, placed one hand on his shoulder and kissed his cheek, with gentle, ghosty lips. His heart skipped happily, a gentle burning on his skin where her lips touched made him shiver slightly. 

Then, in that instant, her closeness was gone. It was a bad feeling, almost painful. He pushed the feeling down and smiled warmly at her. 

"Bye," she whispered, then hurried back to her car. 

"Bye," Chase called after her, offering a wave, then entered his house. When he shut the door, he sat down on the dusty brown couch with a sigh, suddenly feeling very lonely. 

"How'd it go?" called Aunt Susan from the kitchen. The water was running, so she was probably washing her dishes. 

A warm feeling rose pleasantly in Chase's stomach. "It was the best date I've ever had." He paused, then pulled his hand out of his pocket, feeling the fabric of the soft black beanie that she'd forgotten to get back. 

*** 

Lizzie pulled up to the curb in front of her house and parked the car, then sat there with both hands rested gently on the wheel. She smiled, that warm happy high filling her from head to toe ever since she'd decided to hold Chase's hand. 

Lizzie's eyes widened. "I forgot to get my beanie back!" She yelled in frustration, suddenly wanting to hit something. How stupid could she be? "Whatever, I'll get it back on Sunday." She got out of the car and slammed the door in frustration, then stomped into her house. 

"I'm home!" she yelled, then went up to her bedroom. Lizzie slammed the door and ran into her bedroom, flopping onto the bed. She buried her face into the firm pillows. 

Lizzie stared at her white headboard and sighed, then pulled out her iPhone. Five new messages. 

Dani: Have fun on your date! <3 you! *Mwah!* 

Dani: Are you back yet? 

Dani: How was your date? 

Dani: I need deets girl!