c h a p t e r 16

t o m   w a l k e d                 down the streets of London towards King Cross alone this year

t o m   w a l k e d
               down the streets of London towards King Cross alone this year. His large trunk had been set up crudely with attachable wheels so that he could roll it behind him instead of carrying it. His new owl was perched on top, which earned him lots of curious looks as he went. His other bags were hiked up on his shoulders.

In years prior, the Matron would have called a cab and accompanied him up to the door of the large train station. This year, he was apparently too old for escorts. Not that he minded.

    The walk was hot and long, but it gave Tom enough time to collect himself. His brain had been spiraling after receiving the last letter from Evelyn. He had embarrassingly read it so many times that he could see her perfect script in his head.

"I miss you, Tom Riddle."

    He had thought at first that Evelyn had poisoned the letter with some kind of spell that had made him obsessed with it. In the end, he knew it was his own brain and not the letter that had been poisoned. The almost kiss the year prior had not helped him. The thing that annoyed Tom the most, however, was that this kind of attraction, or even something less than that had never happened to him before. Why now? Why her?

    Before he had even left the orphanage, he was stopped by three older girls who had caught him just to beg that they be remembered. For him to promise to write them when he was away at his fancy boarding school. Tom hadn't paid much mind to them. They all reminded him of why he hated muggles so much. They were so needy.

When Evelyn asked him to remember her, she never would beg. It was always in a condescending, teasing way. It never annoyed him into wanting to murder herâ€" not completely, not anymore.

When Tom entered King's Cross station, he could finally breathe again. He loaded his belongings onto a trolley and set off towards Platform 9 ¾. He quickly walked toward the wall and was greeted by hundreds of witches and wizards on the platform.

He immediately spotted Abraxas Malfoy and Roscoe Lestrange as they parted the crowd with their high-born status. They made their way to him and immediately took his trolley from him.

"My Lord, how was your summer?"  Malfoy asked, seemingly genuine in his question, but his eyes were darting over every face around them.

Tom had a pretty good idea why. He too was looking for Evelyn, but he wasn't going to make it as obvious as the fools beside him.

"It was fine," Tom replied. Tom didn't need them to know that he had a miserable summer, filled with plotting the deaths of muggles and finding out everything about his parents.