Chapter 6

Justin

"Ari-bear, it's okay. You'll be okay, I'll make sure of it," I coed into her ear as she cried into my chest.

For the entire day, she walked around with a smile on her face. However, I could see right through it. She was hurting. Thankfully not physically, but definitely emotionally. It was all because of Ethan.

After school, I drove her home. You know how when someone's not okay but you ask if their okay anyway? I did that and she fell to pieces. My heart dropped at the sight of her looking so vulnerable and being in such pain.

She's put on a strong front for so long, she was bound to break soon. She always acted so confident and independent around others, but around me, she acted normal. Even though she's never told me, I know all of her insecurities. Every time we chill out and do homework, she tries to pull her skirt down to cover her legs. Every time she walked past a mirror, her fingers rake through her hair. She was just so... I can't put it into words how great I think she is. But right now that doesn't matter. What does matter is that some brainless jock made her feel less than she is.

"I never did anything wrong to him. I was loyal, I stuck by his side when I shouldn't have and I did everything he asked of me," She cried out, her arms shaking as her chest heaved.

"Let it all out, it's okay."

"I-I- No one will be so good to him again! No one will know that he only likes green apples, or that his favourite donuts are original glazed," She continued.

Although I felt a pang in my own chest at the fact she obviously loved him, I couldn't let my own jealousy get in the way. She needed someone and I'll be damned if it's anyone but me. I mean, I never expected her to be hysterically crying to me in my bed- I'd rather her be nowhere else but here. With me.

"You're right, no one will ever be so good to him again. You know why? Because he had the best and he lost it. Don't let him be the reason for the tears running down your pretty face. You were the one who taught me to walk with my head up and shoulders back. Now more than ever, I need you to do that for me," I said to her, kissing the top of her head.

While one of my hands held her waist down, the other began fiddling with the ends of her hair. My mother use to do that to me whenever I had a rough day. It calmed me down, and apparently Ari too. Her breathing slowed down and her cries started to fade away.

I'm glad I can somewhat make her feel okay. I mean, I can't just take away all her heartbreak and make her forget with the snap of my fingers. If I could, I would've done it already.

I shuffled a little, moving so I was sitting against the headboard. I lifted Ariana up and moved her so she sat sideways in my lap. Her legs stretched out, her little feet hanging over the bed. Her little hands found their way to my chest, where they began fiddling with the material of my shirt.

A light knock on my door echoed through the room, followed by the squeak of it opening. I first saw the brown hair of my mother before she walked in.

"Hello my honeys, are you two okay? Need anything?" She asked, knowing something was wrong by the look on my face. Her eyes filled with empathy as they fell upon Ariana's hunched figure.

"Heartbreak fucking sucks. Oh my goodness- sorry for my language! I just- I'm so cranky and upset at the same time," Ariana let out, looking up at her.

Mum sighed,  "Unfortunately love does that Ariana. You're a young and beautiful girl, you will find someone who treats you the way you deserve. Don't fret over some silly little boy who isn't worth your time. Now, how about I send Justin out to get some ice cream, chocolate and a few choices of movies while we have a little mother to- friend chat. I will text your parents and inform them of your whereabouts."

Ariana's big, brown eyes looked up at me through her long, thick lashes. The little pout on her face almost sent me over the edge.

"You'd do that?" She questioned.

"Of course, I'll be on my way," I told her.

As much as I hated to, I lifted her off my lap and placed her underneath the blanket of my bed. I tucked the blanket in around her little body so she felt nice and secure.

"I'll be back soon Ari," I stated before exiting my room.

Ariana

Once Justin was gone, Pattie sat on the bed beside me and held my hand as I let out everything. I told her all the things that had happened to not only me, but Justin.

I thought she'd be mad about Justin not telling her, but she was quite understanding. She just listened and gave me the motherly advice I know my mother would never give. Yet another issue to be resolved...

"Why don't you just go and tell your brother about him? I'm sure he'd love to have a chat with him," Pattie suggested, jokingly of course.

"Oh no, Frankie would be too scared," I said with a little giggle.

"Why not? I haven't seen him in a while. Your brother is a lovely young man, I'm sure he's got all the girls falling for him," She told me.

I couldn't help but throw my head back and actually laugh this time. Clearly Pattie didn't know about Frankie's sexuality.

"He's not interested in girls, he's gay" I confessed while a smile on my face.

She had a shocked expression, however that soon turned into excitement. Her smile went from ear to ear, her pearly whites showing.

"Oh my gosh! Tell him I'm so proud of him. I might need to borrow him for a day," She joked, grasping my hand and rubbing it with her thumb.

"Borrow him?! No, you can keep him. That'd get him out of my hair for a while," I said to her.

It felt good to talk to someone who had no idea what was going on. When I saw Pattie's reaction, I knew it was genuine. So when she was shocked, I knew that I wasn't being a baby and that Ethan was in fact being a terrible person. I mean, I can talk to Justin. But there was something different about telling Pattie. I guess it has something to do with her motherly advice.

Warning: next chapter is full of absolute cuteness.

If you ever need someone to go to for help, advice or even just a chat, I'm here! My inbox is only a few clicks away so