XXVI • MEMORY LANE

Start from the beginning

"I tricked you into telling me the truth, that's not stabbing you in the back, it's using your own tactics against you." Elena gets up, smiling at Rosie, "Hi."

Damon contemplates what she just said with the breezy mindset that he probably deserves that after the horrible things he's done to Elena and her loved ones recently; he broke Jeremy Gilbert's neck without the awareness that he was fortunately wearing the magical resurrection ring, given by John before he left town, he almost staked Caroline Forbes in the heart to kill her once and for all, and he is the reason as to why Sheila Bennett met her tragic demise for overuse of magic in the tomb Katherine wasn't in. Although, all these horrible actions led all the way back to her; he broke Jeremy's neck because Katherine pissed him off on purpose with a confession that she has never loved him, Caroline became a vampire in the first place because Katherine mercilessly smothered her to death, and Sheila's death could have been prevented if only Katherine was in the tomb.

"Hey Elena. Leaving so soon?" Rosie asked, smiling in return.

"Yeah, is the party over?" Damon added on sarcastically from his seat.

"I made myself clear, Damon. I want nothing to do with you." Elena said; '...you have lost me forever...' it upsets her to know the ugly truth that he didn't know that her brother was wearing the ring when he broke his neck. He just got lucky. Although if her brother wasn't wearing it, he wouldn't have come back and she would have truly resented him her whole life. She doesn't want to be friends with someone who murdered her own brother. She only does so because she wants-- needs to keep Jeremy Gilbert safe. He's just an underaged boy; he doesn't deserve to live in a world where dangerous, predictable vampires like Damon and Katherine are around.

Damon truly understands this confession-- he deserves it. He doesn't deserve to have Elena Gilbert as a good friend, because he isn't. He's used to being the hated one, the bad guy of the story, it's who he turned himself out to be ever since he lost his one true love when he was shot back then, only to be spat in his face by her that she has never loved him; '...the truth is, I've never loved you. It was always Stefan.' He waited one hundred and forty-five years for her, only for her to say that to him with unblinking eyes. Ever since that night, he truly hates her and the girl who has the exact face. He no longer liked Katherine Pierce. He hates Elena Gilbert so much. He doesn't even want to think or see that beautiful, alluring face to haunt him, to lead him into a web that promises only nothing but his heart to be eaten. Like she said so herself; '...I don't want anything to do with you.' So be it. Rosie, feeling awkward as the one in the middle, looks at them in sympathy.

"Okay. See you at Cassie's barbecue." Damon brought up and smiles in a sarcastic manner for the doppelgänger, "If you're even invited, that is."

"How did you know about Cassie's barbecue?" Elena asked suspiciously.

Rosie responded, "Oh, it was my idea, actually. You see, Cassie's close friends with your aunt Jenna, who went to high school with Mason Lockwood, so I figured a social gathering would be a good way to get to know him. So I told Damon to tell Ric to tell Jenna to tell Cassie and..."

"And her daughter's coming home today from Baylor." Damon finished it.

Elena looks back at him, truly puzzled by this, "Did you say 'her daughter'?" Honestly, she has always known that Cassandra Devon only has 'Minerva' ever since she heard of the divorce the young woman had with her husband. Because Tristan Devon had an affair with another woman in another state. Although once she found out the truth, she assumes that there is no daughter at all. Has Cassandra ever got pregnant in the first place? No idea.

"Yep. Rosie didn't just get the name 'Minerva' from anywhere." He spoke.

Therefore, Cassandra's mysterious daughter is really Minerva Devon? Now she's really confused by the actual reality that they live in. Rosie nods a little at this revelation, smiling awkwardly at her best friend, who's surprised.