Chapter Six: Complications

Start from the beginning

"I want to go somewhere snowy, where it's very cold. Like when we took that weekend skiing trip to the mountains when we were younger. I really liked that," I shrug, trying to hide the eagerness behind my words.

A sideways grin traces Cedric's lips as we finally make it into the Great Hall. He gives my shoulder a little squeeze before dropping his arm back to his side.

"I suppose somewhere snowy wouldn't be bad at all," he smiles, placing a chaste kiss to the top of my head before disappearing towards the Gryffindor table to talk to Harry and Ron. I notice Hermione roll her eyes a little as he approaches them, no doubt wishing it were me over there instead.

I let out a sharp exhale and make my way to my own table. Hannah immediately looks up from her plate as soon as I sit down, a weary look on her face. My brows furrow at the innocent girl, whose lips hardly ever hold anything but a smile.

"Have you heard?" Hannah asks, keeping her voice deathly low.

"Heard what, Hannah?" I whisper back, leaning in closer to the skittish witch.

"There's been some rumors going around that Malfoy has been sneaking around the Hufflepuff dormitory lately. Only at night! No one knows why, but we think he's up to something," she quickly tells me, glancing to her sides to make sure no one heard her.

A small lump begins growing in my throat. I part my mouth slightly and let out a small gasp, doing my best to act surprised. As I stare at Hannah, I can't help but let my eyes flicker to the person in question sitting directly behind her. I swallow the lump and shake my head, trying to make my bad feeling disappear.

"I'm sure it's nothing. I mean, it's just Malfoy. You know snakes won't do anything, they're too afraid to strike," I shrug, sitting back up in my seat. "And besides, Slytherins are just all talk," I add, almost immediately regretting it.

"What was that, Sprout?"

My heart flutters in my chest as I look up and find a pair of piercing grey eyes staring into mine. Draco shoots me a quick wink before plastering a menacing smirk on his face. His hands are placed firmly on the table top as he leans across the table, right next to a trembling Hannah.

Now this could be fun.

"I said that Slytherins are just all talk. Got a problem with it, Malfoy?" I smirk back, standing up from my seat and leaning towards the pale faced wizard.

Draco's eyes twinkle at my insult, no doubt enjoying the attention of several of our peers being drawn to us. "Who gives you the right to say anything about us Slytherins, Princess? It seems you Hufflepuffs clearly don't know your place."

"I know my place just fine, thank you. Maybe it's you who doesn't know their place, don't ya think? After all, you are the one sneaking around our dorm, aren't you?" I ask, an innocent smile tracing my lips.

"You can't prove that," he scoffs, obviously caught off guard by my choice of slander. "Even if you could, no one would believe you. You want to know why? Because you're nothing more than a filthy-"

"Malfoy, I wouldn't finish that sentence," I snarl, actually getting a little angry at his choice of insult.

Draco smirks, leaning in closer to me, "Little-"

I snarl my lip at him, trying to signal him to lay off, "Malfoy, don't you dare-"

"Mudblood," Draco sings, his face mere inches from my own.

He really shouldn't have said that.

A small smirk tugs at my lips as I shove him backwards, sending him flying into a few of the Slytherins standing behind him. To my delight they don't even try to catch him, they simply let him fall to the ground at their feet. I have to bite my lip in order to suppress the laugh trying to escape my mouth as I hustle out of the Great Hall.